More volume, witch extra cab? (Poll)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PollyBass, Sep 13, 2001.

1. Another 4x10

5 vote(s)
  2. 15'

7 vote(s)
  3. 18'

2 vote(s)
  4. Other (please do tell.)

4 vote(s)
  1. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Ok. right now i have a 350 watt head. its running 200 into my 8ohm cab. i need some more power cuz or guitarist liks the scooped midrange and cranks the lows. i got him to come off a little on the lows. but he still cranks. so, by getting another cab i can run ALL of my 350 watts. will i see a huge jump in power? and if i get another cab, what would you recomend? i want your baised opinoin. i play heavy stuff mostly. i have one 4x10 cab right now. i was thinking of a 15' cab. but maybe another 4x10 cab would help me cut better?
  2. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    i would suggest a 2x10. get an 8 ohm 2x10, giving you 6 altogether. thats what i would do
  3. Rockinjc

Dec 17, 1999
    Other=New Guitarist!
  4. I suggest you slap that guitarist in the face and make him turn down the lows. I have done so before (without the slapping tho') and with good results.

Why spend money on another cab, just because the guitarist is in the same range as you. A range he should stay out of.

When playing a gig, the sound guy will cut his bass level anyway, because he would ruin the PA and the total sound.
  5. I agree with Joris. Don't let the guitarist mess around with your sound, unless he has a legitimate reason. My OLD guitarist used to always tell me to turn down. Then on a gig the sound man kept telling me to turn up, and the guitarist got pissed so the sound man told him off, needless to say i don't play with him any more. New guitarist is much better, I stay in my freq range and he stays in his, and you can hear both of us. Unless there is a problem with the guitar totally drowning out your low mids I would stay with what you have. If you do have to upgrade, I would get a 210, I like th e punchiness, and most good 210s can pump out quite a bit of bass (not as much as a good 18 though) and you would keep the power rating of your speakers closer to that of the amp, eliminating some chance of wrecking the speakers.

6. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    If you want to cut through better, I would suggest the 4x10. It will give you more volume and punch than a 1x15 or 1x18. However, to totally rule the low end, there is nothing like a good 1x18!
  7. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I voted for the 15", I like 4x10 and 1x15 rigs.

I suggest a Bag end deep 1x15. Those things have TONS of bottom.

Enough bottom to kill someone, if you crank the lows, at close range. ;)
  8. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    I play with a guy who is used to playing in bars alone with an acoustic. Talk about having a hard time explaining this concept to him. Alone, he sounds great. He messes up the mix with if he keeps the same EQ though.

If you have 410 already, I'd get the "15 to enhance the lo-tone. I've not been happy with 18's. Too muddy from what I tried. The BagEnd 115D-B is solid at a nice price. It's a bit larger but it features a front mounted port to push out some of the air. I like it.
  9. Someone posted here awhile ago, about their guitarist being too loud, and you couldnt hear the bass at all. So, everyonce in awhile durring a practice, he'd turn the volume off on his bass, and see if anyone'd noticed. Then at the end of the song, tell them that they just played without the bass player. It might get them to realize.