Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

More Volume

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jsbassist, Apr 29, 2002.

1. I have a Crate 350 watt amp, and i turn the gain up about 1/4 the way up, and the volume half way, any higher and the limit light comes on. Anyone know why? I even trun the gain down, then Theres not much sound. Ideas?

2. I'd get a new amp...plain and simple...Crate's only GOOD quality is the warranty, cause you'll need the m/f'er...

Never let a post go without a reply :}

3. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    mess with different combinations of gain and volume.

If you have a hot bass "produces a lot of signal" then it's going to clip your amp and lower gain stages. It sounds to me like you're reaching he volume limit of your combo.. and amp shopping is in order.

4. SubDubMan

SubDubMan

Apr 26, 2002
    What Kind Of Bass Do You Have?
    I think if it has cheap pickups they will be too hot and distort easy. But on the other hand, if they are active pickups they could do the same. Im not an expert on the situation but thats what happened with my active jazz and fender combo amp. So now I have passive electronics in my new bass, which I like better because I feel I have a more natural tone that I can control better. I feel it's better to let the tone come from you fingers and not heavy EQing...

5. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    I used to own a Crate BT-350 amp in high school and it would light up when the settings were similar to the ones you described above. I had the graphic EQ smiley-style and the bass cranked all the way. Sounds like you are just outta juice! I definitely was...I traded mine for a Carvin R600, which got the job done with watts to spare!

6. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    To sum it up:
    If your bass puts out a 'hot' signal and/or you dial in a lot of bass on your amp it is not unlikely that the amp reaches it's limit with the gain 1/4 way up and the volume 1/2 way up.

Try to reduce bass and do not attenuate mids and see if that's better.

If you still need more volume you need either
    a 'louder' cab (with better sensitivity)
    or a second cab (provided your amp can handle it)
    or a more powerful head.

BTW what cab do you have right now or is this a combo amp?

Matthias

7. I just got the amp for christmas.:rolleyes: I geuss I'll just get some money, and get like a 600 watt, or more.