More Warmoth/Custom related questions...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by McHack, Apr 13, 2004.

1. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    First off, sorry about pestering everyone with this stuff. You'd think a person should be able to make some decisions on his own... right? hehe...

Anyway, My inspiration for wanting to build a Warmoth is THIS.

Warmoth offers standard,,,NORMAL pegheads for a bass... You know,, P/J Bass, old P-Bass, a V Peghead,, thier own Warmoth design,, even a Les Paul if you want. They also offer a blank ie paddle for you to cut your own.

However, notice that the 4-string Alembic Spyder has more of winged peghead. The thought of cutting my own peg head intrigues and scares me...

Keeping in mind, that this is my first attempt, is this something I should pass on? I'm already envisioning cutting it just right, & then botching the tuner holes & breaking off part of the head & *pooofff* Neck = ruined.

Is this easy enough or should I just bite the bullet & use a warmoth or a V peghead? Opinions?
  2. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    If you're talking about the 4-string, I'd probably steer away from that and just go for one the of the standard shapes. From a design point of view, the direction of the string pull would make it harder to cut the nut so that the strings don't bind, but from a simply practical angle, this is your first one and it's probably better to play it a little safe.

My $.02
  3. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!

I thought as much, just wanted to have someone say,, "Don't Do it, Stupid"....

The std V peghead or warmoth head will probably do a good job of pulling off the look, tho,,, since the 8-stringer uses one thats similar.
  4. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    And a few of the Ox's Spider/Explorer/Exploiter/Whatever basses did gave the somewhat more traditional-ish arrowhead headstock. They weren't all the wide 'V' heads.

So an Explorer body with an arrowhead headstock would be a proper tribute.