More warmth in my rig. Help.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jock, Sep 15, 2005.

1. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I need a warmer, on the edge to overdriven, sound. I now play a Gibson GB440 (almost same as Thunderfunk) into a Glockenklang UNO 1x15". This rig sounds amazing (but too clean) and can get deeper than I ever thought was possible. But I miss that dynamic overdriven sound that overdrives when you hit the strings really hard but stays clean when you play with a softer touch. My options are:
    1 Keep the GB440 and ad some kind of tube pedal.
    2 Get a Mesa Walkabout
    3 Get an Ashdown ABM300

What would you do?

BTW I play a Lakland Gob Glaub thet´s modded with a Dark Star pickup.
  2. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Well, I don't think the Mesa will do the whole dig in and overdrive, play softer and clean thing.. It might, but i've found it's usually best found when using all tube amps.
    Ashdowns are really warm, but even with the drive all the way up, hardly o/d at all.. A pedal may be an option to take.
    Both those amps are REALLY warm and 'tubey' though.
  3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I'd go with #1 for starters. It's the least expensive, and does not involve you taking apart a rig you really like. Perhaps you could start with a Sansamp?

4. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Thanks. I don´t like the SansAmp´s sound. And I really wanted to. I´ll see if I can find a Hartke Bass Attack pedal to try. Maybe that is more my sound. The Sansamp couldn´t do the sound I tried to describe. It was either clean or gritty. And way too scooped in the mids when the blend was turned too far.
  5. nemo

Mar 19, 2004
    Hello, another GB-440 user here! I was toying with the same idea and briefly tried at home the Beh***r MIC-100 tube preamp ($50...) on the front of amp input and it gave me what you describe. Little bit of warmth and edge of overdriven sound while digging in. However I have found that I actually prefer unaltered sound without it. It gained warmth, but somewhat lost quickness. No noise problems, btw. But anyway, this is what you get from tubes, right, so adding a tube pedal is the viable option. I'am sure there some other tube preamps (art, presonus,..), which can give you this. Maybe EH black finger tube comp, or English muffin too?
    If you dig the GB this is the way to keep it and have tube option at the same time.
    The other two amps are different beasts, so its up to you how much you want to move from your present sound
  6. Jackbass

Dec 19, 2003
    Paris (FRANCE)
    What about a little 1 tube preamp in your loop effect or between the bass and the amp.

If you don't want to spend too much money,look at the behringer ultragrain or ultra gain (I don't remember the exact name).
  7. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Thanks. Yes I guess a pedal is the way to go. I won´t get much money for the GB440 if I sell it and it´s a really superb amp. I love the sound when played fingerstyle but when I use a pick it can sound sterile and harsh sometimes. I´ll look into the Behringer or ART mic preamps too.
  8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    No problems my friend. Perhaps you could find a good OD pedal, and turn the settings way down so it doesn't kick in unless you really dig in? I know it is cheap, but I had some fun with the OD-3 from Boss.

I wonder if the ART Levelar that is for sale here at TB would work for you?

9. go with the Electro Harmonix LPB 2ube pedal. $199.00. It a dual tube preamp pedal. I own one, and absolutly love it. If you like your rig, and it sounds great to you but want more warmth... go for the tube pedal.

I wrote a review of the LPB 2ube a little while back.

I think its just what you need. You can push it for driven sounds, or just have greesey fat tubey goodness and everything in between. And if you want sublte tweeks in tone, get a bunch of 12ax7's in pairs and go to town. Its really an awesom pedal and works awesome for bass.

Run it in the loop, or out in front. Or you can have one tube stage in front, and have the 2nd in the loop!

hope this helps.

and amen on not liking the Sansamp... i hate that thing too! I tried to like it but it was just a tone sucking machine.
  10. BillisCool

Apr 16, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    I use a walkabout to get that sound...

Warm, smooth, slightly overdriven, punchy... lay back, or dig it.
  11. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Interesting. I love my Eden WT-550 as well. But sometimes it would be nice to really drive the thing for some overdrive, distortion or maybe just a little more tube-ness. I'll have to check it out.
  12. I hated the flat sterile sound in my Hartke and got a tube preamp, an Alto Alpha Mic Tube (at 900 SEK = ~$50) and it warms it up considerably. I even get that nice subtle distorsion...
    I put it between the DI out and the PA mixer, but it's certainly possible to put it between the bass and amp (or maybe in the effects loop??)
    Since that particular pre is stereo I also got a tube pre channel for my song microphone... :)

I have also tried the EBS Multidrive, and with the tube setting it works pretty well also. Have only tried it in the shop so I don't have a lot of experience though.

13. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Here is an idea. Sell me you GB-440 and get a tube amp, problem solved! :D Seriously, I am looking for one of these...
  14. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    It actually is for sale at the moment. But Im in Sweden and the amp is a 230V unit. Might be an easy mod though. PM me an offer if your still interested. ;)

I hope Im not violating any rules now. :bag:
  15. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

No we are both supporting members, so it's ok to discuss. I'll see if I can find out if it's worth the trouble of trying to go from 230 to 120.

16. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Problem solved. I sold the GB440 and have an Ampeg SVP-CL on the way. Best warm preamp I´ve ever tried. And far above anything Ampeg I´ve ever tried.
    Now for a lightweight poweramp that costs next to nothing...
  17. could be the ticket for you.