1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

More Whammy pedal ideas...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ndrly, Jul 27, 2007.

1. OK, I know I've talked a lot about the Whammy pedal. But, I have a brilliant idea...

Perhaps Digitech should reissue some old Whammy pedals, as well as introducing new ones.

Here's some examples...

Stage Whammy - A Whammy II reissue with the same chip and settings as the current model. The settings are changed via two buttons (one selects the settings, the other bypasses the instrument), as opposed to the rotary knob of the current model. This means that the user doesn't have to bend over to change the settings.

Bass Whammy - A reissue of the original Bass Whammy (used by Justin Chancellor, among others) which has upgraded circuitry and the same settings as the original (plus more)!

Multi-Whammy - Go to these threads, I've already made some detail on this...http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=347739

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=347940

Signature models - Want the tone of Tom Morello, Justin Chancellor, and others? Try out these!

That's all I can think of for now. Remember, these are just ideas. They do not exist...yet. I don't know if Digitech will accept the ideas. First chance I get I'll pitch it to them.

2. vtwo

vtwo

Dec 16, 2006
    Connecticut
    You should work on a DIY... I'd be a fun project (challenging, but fun) and it can be boutique quality, limited run/supplies, etc.

3. Unknowndude

Unknowndude

Apr 20, 2006
    Toronto, ON
    It's incredibly hard to DIY digital stuff like Whammies, unfortunately.

4. vtwo

vtwo

Dec 16, 2006
    Connecticut
    I'm aware. But imagine all that Whammy goodness in analog! :eek: :eek: :eek:

5. Sir Edward V

Sir Edward V Not Actually Knighted... Yet!

Dec 11, 2006
    Massachusetts
    want the tone of Tom Morello? get a WH-1 (among many other things)

want the tone of Justin Cancellor? get a Bass Whammy (among many other things)

If your talking about that crap Digitech does with say the Jimi Hendrix wah or Brian May... whatever that is... I hate that they do that!!! those things I have tried out are completely horrible! also they are pretty much useless for anything other than sounding like someone else. WHICH hinders musical progress IMO

I have a serious grudge against Digitech if you cant tell! The only things they make that are worthwhile is the whammy and jamman, but I think my jamman might be adding mild distortion to my signal... another reason to get rid of it!!!

6. Lowpro

Lowpro

Sep 25, 2006
    Birmingham, AL
    Heh, I am pretty sure Digitech isn't willing to do a reissue. I had called to see if they may have any tucked away in factories, thef rist person I talked to didn't even know about the pedal, just the old BP-8.

7. I'm saying maybe they should have a whole line of whammy pedals instead of just the one. Like, they could have the Stage Whammy as an updated version of the Whammy II and upgrade the bass whammy by giving them more options and better tracking.

8. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    interesting. i found those modeling pedals to have lots of useable tones in them. the trick is to use the pedal to create your own sounds. sure, there are 7 presets... but they're all tweakable.

jimi hendrix's guitar tones are legendary. many guitarists try to emulate them because jimi is the essence of Rock&Roll... a very loud and free spirit. having those staple sounds in one pedal is convenient. the fact that you can get those same tones and tweak them to your liking is quite nice! (i'm just using the jimi pedal as an example, here... i'm not really that big a jimi fan.)

ultimately, the best thing is to get an old fuzz face and an old wah and a mighty stack (or four) of Marshalls... but if you can't manage that, something like the jimi pedal can be your best friend!

and then there's the whole recording aspect! having a bunch of great distortion and wah and leslie and phase and whatever tones at your disposal is AWESOME in a studio.

i don't know... i think it would behoove you to look a little more objectively at the artist signature pedals. those pedals can be very useful, no matter what you think of the marketing scheme.
    http://[malware url removed].net/vicious-smiley-1815.gif

9. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    i think you should talk to digitech. if they're working on a Whammy V or something (which they probably are), i'm sure they'd like to hear your ideas!

i think the "stage whammy" idea is killer, as well as incorporating the bass whammy's unique features.

10. Yea the Sig series would be kinda redundant...

The others are cool though.

11. Okay, I pitched my ideas to Digitech like just now. Maybe I shall hear some sort of response from them or something.

12. Okay, Digitech hasn't yet responded. Maybe they haven't read my mail yet, maybe they like it, maybe they don't...I dunno.