Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

More wiring questions for Dimarzio pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ElBajista, Feb 6, 2006.

1. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    I posted this in the "Jazz Bass Ser/Par megathread," but I realized it was way too off topic. Here are my questions:

1. Say I have two HBs in my jazz, Dimarzio UJs for instance, and both were individually wired for Ser/Par, each with their own mini-toggles. If I was to switch them both into series mode, would they sound the same as if both were wire in series together, as in only one switch?

I was thinking about this, but I've heard that wiring them so they can run together in series has a "bigger" and "beefier" sound when compared to the pickups being individually switched in series. Anyone else have experience with this?

2. Also on the subject of Dimarzio UJs, is there any advantage to wiring them between HB and single coil? is this even possible with these pickups? If so, what is the difference in sound/tone?

Thanks in advance for any help.

-David

2. sotua

sotua

Sep 20, 2004
    US Northeast
    If I understad correctly what you are saying, the answer is "no". The typical series/parallel Jazz Bass discussion is about how you wire the pickups in relation to each other. The individual mini-toggles vary the way each of the pickup coils are wired in relation to the other pickup coil. So, you can have both pickups wired in series with itself via the mini-toggles, but still the pickups wired in parallel w/r each other, or have your pickups wired in series w/r each other but have each pickup with its coils wired in parallel.

Yes, there is a difference between series and parallel wiring between both pickups. The series option will be hotter and kind of more agressive. Parallel will give you more clarity than series, and a more defined sound (more lows and highs but lower output, IIRC). Give it a try and see if you like the sound.

IIRC, the DiMarzio UJs (and ModelJs too) are split-coil humbuckers, meaning that if you "coil tap" them (using the pickup as a "single coil" by bypassing one of the coils) you actually turn off half your pickup (as in you get to hear only, say, the E and A strings but not the D and G strings). The only wiring options for these pickups are "series humbucking" or "parallel humbucking", not single coil (unless you want to do some bizarre experiment like, for example, coil tap both pickups in a J-bass so that you get the E and A strings from one pickup and the D and G from the other one. ;))

3. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    I see. Has anyone tried this? How does it sound when compared to wiring both pickups in series?

Would it be possible to have a switch for switching each pair of coils between ser/par, and one "master" switch for switching the overall output of the pickups between ser/par? I wonder if that would be overkill, or even useful...

4. fender_mod

fender_mod

Jun 23, 2005
    i think that would be really intersting to do. ill bet it would be neat for slapping and popping. having your E and A strings on the neck and the D and G on the bridge turned on. i guess it would give good low end and percussive sounds for the slapping and the bridge electronics would put out really sharp pop.

5. sotua

sotua

Sep 20, 2004
    US Northeast
    It's perfectly possible - just make sure you've got plenty of room in your control cavity and plenty of patience for the soldering ;)

In my opinion it would be overkill - I really had a hard time finding a "place" to use the pickups with their indidivual coils in parallel, 95% of the time I had them wired in series - if I had those dimarzios again (I sold the bass with dimarzios) I'd hard-wire the pickups in series and use a push-pull pot or mini switch for toggling series/parallel for the whole circuit. That change is noticeable, and both tones are usable. All of this, once again, IMHO. YMMV.