Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

More Wishbass Ebay Madness

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fourstringdrums, Apr 4, 2005.

1. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4713&item=7312590269&rd=1

Just a few questions I'd like to ask this guy...

- Is it just me, or do the closeups of the bass look like it was burned in a fire?

- The bass cost you $400, but you're selling it for $600 because of aesthic upgrades with don't help the looks at all?

- So I take it you've never actually seen beautiful exotic tops before?

2. Kelly Coyle

Kelly Coyle Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    "Master Luthier Wish" meet "Master Luthier Dana"...

3. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    Far from a Master. Long live Master Mike Tobias. :bassist:

4. the padawan still has looooooooooooooooooooong way to go

5. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    I've got to say, I once thought there was very little you could do to a Wish to make it look worse than when it was new, but I was obvoisuly wrong.

[​IMG]

6. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    Is it just me, or am I the only one who isn't even a tad bit impressed by Wish basses? And just when I thought I'd said everything about them...how 'bout that headstock? :scowl:

7. is it just me or does that fretboard look like it is very bumpy and has a terrible finish on it

8. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    Ack. That finish makes me want to gag. The carving on the body is also atrocious.

9. i'm not impressed either

10. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    "one-off custom with the best of everything"
    This guy must be a real estate agent!!
    I cannot believe people are bidding on this thing...That does it!!!!! I'm going out and not buying a ruler or pencil so I can start making custom basses to sell on Ebay!!

11. RLT

RLT

Jul 10, 2004
    South Central OH
    Looking at this thing I could take a hatchet and a hammer and copy it.
    That aside some of the Wish's would make neat wall ornaments. If nothing else you have to admit the man comes up with some off the wall ideals.

Rusty

12. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Does the lower left hand of the body have a crack in it or is that just a really dark line on the body? I hate that body shape. I can imagine killing my left hand on the horn as I try and go for the upper frets, nevermind trying to rest that thing on my lap.

Can anyone even guess what wood that is? Besides a Ace Hardware fire sale special?

13. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    As a side note, I found this interview with Steve http://www.bassinside.com/2003/august/wish.htm

"Most people never touch the tone control, so I don't put one on". This is true...most basses have tone knobs just in case another knob breaks so you have a spare..

"It's the wood that sounds good, not the pickup" Yea, the pickups don't matter at all, in fact I bet you don't even need them.

"We make the most comfortable bass in the world" Yea, unnatural odd shapes and pointy edges are comfy :)

14. I'm not familiar with wishbasses. Can someone explain them to me

15. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Do a search, Wish has been beaten more than every dead horse in the world, and going through it again in this thread is just going to get people hot under the collar, cause a lot of work for he moderators who will need to edit the posts and probably end up with a few people taking short forced vacations from TB.

None of us need another opportunity to go through that again.

Here's 2 good places to start:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76416
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=144940

16. I dunno. I actually like his stuff. Sure it's not hardcore high-end luthier quality, but he doesn't claim it to be. And the clips I've heard have all sounded pretty good. I absolutely love his philosophy. If I were to buy one, I'd order it unfinsihed, then clean it up myself. I think people miss his point and are a bit too quick to slam him.

If I was in the market currently for another bass, I'd strongly consider one similar to this.

[​IMG]

17. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Whoa, to think Carl Thompson only made screwed up once on his body shape...

18. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    actually, that bass looks pretty good....

FOR ME TO POOP ON! :hyper:

Attached Files:

19. www.basssource.com has a pretty good interview with Wish on it.

20. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    :D