1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

More with Less

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by woody357, Jun 29, 2007.

1. woody357

woody357 Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2005
    Here is my problem, I use an Acoustic 370 head, and brought a Yorkville xc115 cabinet to use as a stand alone, but I cannot get nuff bottom from the cab, I also have a Peavey tvx210 cabinet that gives me more bottom than the Yorkville. I am looking to get more with less, and was wondering whether to just look for a new head first or sell the Yorkville and the Peavey and get a 4-10 cabinet. I know I still need to get a new head ASAP. I really don’t think the head is working right, because I have the bass all the way up, and I’m still ask to add more bottom, now when I use the 301 cabinet that goes with it that’s not a problem. When I use both the Peavey, and the Yorkville cabinets everyone love the sound, but I want that sound without having to carry so much stuff. The Yorkville is lite, but the Peavey is heavy, and I really hate lifting it. So any suggestions?
    P.S The 4-10 I was looking at was a Genz Benz LS410T

2. jtc_hunter

jtc_hunter

Feb 16, 2007
    I would take your bass and the xc115 into a music store and try some diffferent heads. If you find one to your liking, then sell the 370 head and the peavey cab.

3. woody357

Jun 17, 2005
    I used the Acoustic, and Yorkville set up again last night just for stage pres, I ran direct to a pa. The sound I got made me want to grow my hair back just so I could pull it out. I only had the amp turned up 1/4. I have read nothing but good things about Yorkville equipment, so I am thinking that it would be a safe bet that it is the head. I am so desperate I am ready to buy this used Hartke 3500 head that I found for $270, to hold me until I can get a better amp. Any thoughts?

4. Bryan316

Bryan316 Inactive

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit
    You need to take your whole rig to someone who really knows his bass gear, hook up your rig like you usually do, and let him hear/see how everything is running. Cuz you must be doing something wrong somewhere. Let another pair of ears listen, and get another unbiased opinion of your setup. If your gear is truly screwed up, then he'll help you diagnose the problem.

Find a local bassist who's a veteran and knows his gear, and have him help you out.

5. woody357

Jun 17, 2005
    A big problem is that no one here (where I live)knows anything about Acoustic equipment. I'm not going to sell or trade the Acoustic, but it is a 30y/o amp.

6. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Let's see if I got this correct

The 370 sounds OK - has enough bass through the 301.

The 370 and 210 have a lot of bottom

The 370 and yorkville 15 doesn't have enough low end for your taste.

If I got that right - it sure sounds like the Yorkville isn't the cab for you.

The 370 is a loud, somewhat grainy sounding head. It would pair OK with a large 4x10 or 2x12. If you're in the domestic US - I would suggest Avatar as being cost effective.

I would be uncomfortable relying on a head of that vintage as a gigging tool so I'd probably move on from the Yorkville, The Peavey and the Acoustic head in favor of more up to date gear.

7. woody357

Jun 17, 2005
    yes
    no the 210 has better bottom than the 15, but I still get asked for more
    not with the 370 head, but I have not tried it with anything else
    I agree with you on the fact that the head has too many miles on it, but I want to give this Yorkville a chance so I really want to see what it can do with a different head on a gig. If it doesn't pan out i was looking at a Genz Benz 410 that is small and lite. The Yorkville sound great in the store, but almost everything sounds good in the store. I did turn it up, but not to gigging levels. I wanted this cabinet as a stand alone for the small clubs they have here, but like I've said so far ir has not worked out. I have to use both the Peavey, and the Yorkville to get a good sound. Before I got the York I was using the Peavey as a stand alone, it was cool, but still needed some bottom. I work with three different ands two of them are Smooth Jazz/ R&B/Funk bands(covers) and the other is a Funk/Rock band(all orig) with this band no covers. I got the Peavey to help clear up my sound when i use the 301, and the Yorkville to use as a stand alone.

8. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I used a pair of the Yorkville 15s for years powered by a GK400RB. I had enough botton and plenty of volume although I agree, the Yorkville's are not the most bottom efficient cabs out there. Try for a super boosted bass sound at high volume and they won't do it. They're not subwoofers. But, I loved the sound I was getting and so did the guys I worked with.. It was warm and quite balanced. Some 2x10s and 4x10s will put out more volume and you should look at them instead. Or go completely crazy and get a powered subwoofer to add to your rig. I went that route for a while. While I got tons of real fundamental, it was way too much and just muddied the sound of the group. The only people who liked it were reggae players and very young bassists who were easily impressed by gear.

I couldn't imagine needing all that real fundamental for electric bass being played as a supporting instrumemnt in a group. But some guys may want that. I'd say sell the Yorkville and go for something with a much bigger cabinet to start with. The Yorkville single 15 cabinet, like most of the 15 cabs out there, are simply too small for high volume bass below about 70 Hz.

9. woody357

Jun 17, 2005
    I want more bottom, not boom hahhahahah I got this cabinet because it was compact, I already have big, and I'm getting away from that. I do understand what you are saying, but i guess maybe my problem is more sound quality, than tone. at low vol it sounds great, but at gigging levels it sound really bad, in fact the Peavey doesn't sound very good at gigging levels. I don't pl;ay all that loud the only time i've ever been asked to turn down was at a supper club. I was expecting more punch, but I get flub.

10. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I understand. You could upgrade the speaker I imagine. I recently put a 400 watt Eminence cast frame in mine after I blew the stock speaker. There was a noticeable improvement in clarity. Not huge but noticeable. No extra bottom though. Or, blow the bank balance and get a Mesa Scout 15 extension cabinet. I have the 12 and it sounds like a 15. The Mesa 15 sounds even bigger. It'll stay clean and warm at some pretty high volumes. The size and weight are pretty good too. The 12 weighs about 37 lbs. The 15 is about 44 I think. Very efficient too.

By the way, which Yorkville cabinet do you have. They make a compact 15 and a larger 15. The compact is a sealed cabinet and the larger is ported. Also, mine were the old style larger 15s without the horn and made from poplar rather than the birch they now use and the horn.

11. woody357

Jun 17, 2005
    I have the xc115 it has the tweeter, and it is also ported.

12. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Try disconnecting the tweeter. Just try it and see if it sounds better. Of course, I hate tweeters.

I think that cabinet uses the same 300 watt stamped frame Eminence as mine and i think the internal volume is the same.

13. woody357

Jun 17, 2005
    I understand what you are saying, but the problem is not with the way the tweeter sounds, it is how well the cab sound at gig levels. The tweeter sounds fine, but the lows and the mids sound bad at gigging levels.

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 9, 2021