Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Morgan Nicholls- The Senseless things/Vent 414/MORGAN

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by The Mock Turtle Regulator, Jul 14, 2002.

1. anyone know of this guy?
    the Senseless Things were a UK Indie band of the 90's - pretty much run-of-the-mill, and I truly hated them- lame songs, weak vocals, weak guitars. a bit like a 2nd-rate version of The Wonderstuff (I'm not a fan of them either).

but the one good thing about them was the bassist, Morgan Nicholls - he played a headed Status all-graphite bass, with a twangy tone, and often used slap, and occasionally took solos in the songs.
    he also used a John Entwistle-type percussive fingerstyle, bouncing the strings off the frets.

after the Senseless Things broke up, Nicholls joined Vent 414 with ex-Wonderstuff singer Miles Hunt.
    this was pretty poor material too IMHO.

it always seemed like he was a great bassist stuck in terrible bands.

2. ps. just read that he's now playing in the backing band for Mike Skinner AKA. The Streets-
    seen on Later with Jools Holland last night- spot the black Status bass.

3. bah- no replies.

but Muse like his playing-

he was depping for Chris Wolstenholme (who played keyboards instead of bass as he's injured his hand) at the recent V festival.

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    well, I missed this thread completely last time round.

He was /is a very inventive bass player, I liked his lines pretty much without exception. Homophobic a**hole, Easy to Smile, hold it down were all great bass lines. The tone was sometimes a bit cutting for me, but he had chops a plenty but seemed to hold them back for the sake of the song.

5. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    This is the man that made me want to play bass! Alright, so I was only an impressionable 14 year old at the time- but those senseless things albums were the pretty much the first things I learnt to play.
    I heard he's currently a member of the streets live band.

6. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Yup. He also filled in for Muse recently when Chris Wolstenholme injured his hand.

7. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    that makes sense- pretty good swap if you ask me. It's just a shame he's never had a band that matches his own high standards.

8. apparently he's playing bass for the Gorillaz live shows.

cartoon monkeysuit not required though.