1. Please read before selling or posting: TalkBass DB Classifieds Rules and FAQ

For Trade Morizot French Bow for German Bow

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bows' started by garrett2, May 23, 2021.

1. garrett2

garrett2 Supporting Member

May 15, 2017
    Price:
    Style:
    French
    I've been forced to switch from French to German due to a thumb problem. Consequently I am not using my Morizot bow. I bought it at auction at Skinner and it was fixed up by David Hawthorne who put a new frog on and also a wrap of fishing line to prevent a line in the wood from opening into a crack. He thought it was Morizot Freres, but was non-committal. It is straight, weighs 143 grams with hair, and plays very nicely. Unfortunately I cannot play it without great pain! Interested in trading for an equivalent German bow with someone in the opposite situations!

Attached Files:

2. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    If you like the bow, have you thought about changing the frog to a German one? Gary Karr did this with several of his bows.

garrett2 likes this.
  3. Switching the frog is less than ideal, because the larger head disturbs the balance.

garrett, what dollar value range would you consider equivalent?

4. garrett2

garrett2 Supporting Member

May 15, 2017
    My guess would be it's worth about 3,000-3,500 due to the replaced frog and the wrap to prevent cracking. The wrap is purely preventative --- there are no repairs to the stick and it sounds great -- but it has to devalue it. But I'm not sure.

BTW the frog is replaced because someone had put a German frog on it when I bought it, and as you said it made the balance unworkable. It's a French bow!

5. Yeah, my whole collection might be worth $3k. What’s up with the wrap by the head?

garrett2 likes this.
  6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021