Morley ABY pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bassman515, Jan 9, 2008.

1. Hi there,

Got a question. I have one of these pedals and even when i have it on A or B there is still a little bleed though on the unused side. Has anyone every experienced this, how did you fix it, i thought about taking it apart and then rewiring different jacks to get rid of the circut board so it is all wires but i did not know if that would work...
    thanks!
    Jeremy

2. fishtx

fishtx

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    I tried using one of these but found it very noisy and as you say, found that there was some "bleed" through both sides...I still have it but haven't messed with it in a couple of years.

3. The totally passive circuitry is the culprit - whether changing to wires from a PCB would fix things is anyone's guess. Make sure your cabling is good - good ground connections should help. You might consider increasing the value of the two input resistors - there's a slim chance they're forming a leakage path.

4. BTW, it is not possible for the Morley ABY to create noise. The hum that is so often blamed on the Morley ABY is due to the ground loop that is formed by any passive ABY pedal.

5. fishtx

fishtx

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    To be fair, I was using a power supply to power the LED...and thats when it got noisy...

6. ...or if you're using a power supply! I thought the ABY didn't even have a DC jack!? :bag:

7. Im starting this up again.

I have a similar problem. I am running 2 inputs, 1 output. and there is a god awful hum. I am also using a POWER SUPPLY. a DC adapter for a godlyke daisy chain-

Godlyke Power-All System Battery Clip Jumper Cable: Shop Guitars & Other Musical Instruments | Musician's Friend

however, the hum does not seam to be related to the power. It will hum powered or not. The hum does get worse when i plug both inputs in. its not as bad if only one input is plugged in but whats the point if i can only have one input!

8. chessrocks

chessrocks Guest

Aug 8, 2011
    What would you say is the total length of all cables you're using with the Morley, if you were to add up their footage?

18 ft? 24 ft? 50 ft or more?

9. AlvarHanso

AlvarHanso

Jun 20, 2011
    Why are you using a power supply for a unit that doesn't need any power whatsoever, other than for the LED indicator? Using a 9v battery shouldn't run through too many when you disconnect the cables after use. And I'm confused about where you plug in the power supply, because I don't recall a jack on my unit.

10. Vlad5

Vlad5 Chronic Knob Twiddling Tone Chaser Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2011
    PNW USA
    I had some leakage across channels in my own made a/b/y pedal. Then I added LEDS and a power connecter (using a Power All adapter, chained to 7 other effects). Now the bleed through is reduced.

I don't know enough about electronics to say how I fixed it, but I think adding the LEDs, with their individual resisters, may have helped. Or maybe it was using all nine connectors of the 3PDT switches, and not leaving any 'open'... :meh:

edit oh, never mind... put my headphones on and yeah, bleed through, though a bit less than before. Maybe the resisters?

11. timplog

timplog Supporting Member

Jul 18, 2016
    santa fe, new mexico
    this from Morley;

AC ADAPTER
    All Morley® pedals use Morley® 9VDC 300 milliamp regulated adapter. Center pin polarity is negative. Using a non-regulated adapter could cause a low frequency hum in your amplifier. Using an adapter with the wrong polarity may damage the pedal.

old thread but may be useful still

12. timplog

timplog Supporting Member

Jul 18, 2016
    santa fe, new mexico
    see below