1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Morley Dual Bass Wah or Dunlop 105Q?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by fleafan7159, Apr 23, 2010.

1. Im considering buying an wah for my sterling sb14 and i don't know which one is better for my style (funk,punk,hard rock, some metal); bands like RHCP, RATM, BFMV,A7X, Disturbed and Linkin park. Though research i found out that Flea and Timmy C both use the 105q so im kinda leaning towards that.

I haven't played either and ive heard reviews that say they each have their strengths and weaknesses. It seems like more people that have played both of these say that the morely is better. But several people say the 105q is better so im kinda confused. I was wondering which one would be better for me based on my style of playing.

If anyone has suggestions on better bass wah's for the $60-$120 price range let me know. I am looking to spend <$100 but im open to suggestions.
    :help::confused:

2. Kromwarp

Kromwarp

Sep 16, 2008
    Greater Grand Rapids, Michigan
    Master Luthier: Ironclad Bass Guitars
    you could do two 105Q's with a wood plate on top like Tim

3. lol i've seen that pic and i always wondered why he had two.hah yeah that would be cool but would it increase the intensity of the wah?

4. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    If you hadn't already considered them, there are plenty more to choose from... The Morley Power Wah is also good on bass, so add that to your list along with the Ibanez Weeping Demon, Wilson 12-Position bass wah and also their Freaker wah...

Also, Timmy C runs the 2 wahs in parallel feeding 2 separate amps, one clean, one dirty.

5. ok, i heard the power wah is pretty good. i know the weeping demon is cheap but idk if it has good tone.

yea i know Timmy c does that. i'm like a Timmy c fanatic lol. it just didn't register that that was why he had two lol

6. bump

7. chicago_mike

chicago_mike

Oct 9, 2007
    Chicago - LA - Rome - Dallas
    Endorsing Artist : Genz Benz
    Had both and kept the Dunlop. If you go Morley, get the old chrome Power Wah Fuzz. Have not tried other bass wahs yet and I do want another for more colour.

8. oh ok I haven't seen the old power wah fuzz. how much are those?
    but overall in your opinion the dunlop is better? i'm kinda leaning toward it but they're both around the same price so my opinion could change

9. chicago_mike

chicago_mike

Oct 9, 2007
    The morley seemed a little more plane jane to me. It wasn't bad mind you, but the Dunlop has a more pronounced wah effect.

10. aight cool thats about all i need to know i definitely want a more pronounced wah effect. i found one of those old chrome ones, are those better than the 105q or just basically the same as the one u tried?

11. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    I have an old school Power Wah-Boost, and if you wanna be heard, those early chrome ones are it! They cut like a knife but are big and heavy and not that smooth!

12. oh really? well im kinda leaning towards the dunlop ones even more now lol. i need to play the morleys...

13. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    Where are you located? I'm not really interested in moving mine even though I never use it, but if you wanted to try it out just to see I wouldn't mind letting you use it a while. It's not like you can break it, haha!

14. im in katy. i might just see if any shops have it

15. chicago_mike

chicago_mike

Oct 9, 2007

they go from say 70 to maybe 150 price wise??

16. right but the 105q in your opinion is better or worse than the one in the vid? it sounds pretty dam good btw

17. i found a video of a guy playing a power wah fuzz on bass and he says its better for sweeping than funky quick wah sounds. he also said the dunlop would be better for it. and he kinda shows it in the vid. i think im going more for funk but the Morley still sounds great

18. chicago_mike

chicago_mike

Oct 9, 2007
    Well...Im going to cop out and say get both. I'm getting a second wah soon and have it narrowed down to a couple.

19. hah aight yea, they are both different and both awesome in their own way. i might end up getting both. man im getting G.A.S. again

20. chicago_mike

chicago_mike

Oct 9, 2007
    Tell me about it...

Part of me wants the bootsy wah so I can mod it. Part of me wants the stnaley wah, part of me wants the earthquaker wah.....

sheesh!