1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Morley Power Wah Fuzz

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by miacomet, Feb 17, 2008.

1. miacomet

miacomet

Dec 10, 2005
    North of Boston
    I just obtained a (I believe) mid 70's Morley PWF in very good condition....all chrome...little wear. Anyone have any knowlege of this, what looks to be a very cool pedal? I had never heard of this pedal, let alone played one. Any insight would be helpful. Thanks!

2. Beachcoma

Beachcoma

Mar 19, 2007
    Utrecht
    Its kinda like the one Cliff used, only I believe he used a PWB. They are built like tanks, use an LDR instead of a pot (no wear):hyper: And they sound like no other wah ever made. You love em or hate em.

I love my PWO (like PWF without fuzz), I usually put a booster+fuzz before it and it sounds like its gonna rip you to shredds.

What else would you like to know?:smug:

3. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    The chrome Morleys were made during the late 1970s, all the way up to the start of the 1980s... and then were replaced by a different series. The chrome ones are often known as "Tel-Ray" era pedals - because that's when Tel-Ray owned the Morley brand.

Those things are huge and have the widest sweep of any wah pedal you'll ever see - both in physical sweep (try moving it with your foot and you'll understand) and frequency range (from rumbling low to screaming high). The wah circuit is based around an LDR (also called a photoresistor) and a small light bulb; as you increase or decrease the amount of light the LDR receives, the resistance changes - the same concept you have with a pot in a traditional wah pedal, only it's done with light. They also run off an AC power cord - you can't use batteries with those beasts.

Modern Morley pedals are all LDR-based, too, but they now use LEDs instead of small light bulbs. They're also 9VDC powered and nowhere near as large as the old ones. The current reissue of the Power Wah is the only Morley I've used that comes close to sounding like the old ones.

The Power Wah Boost is the most sought after because of the Boost feature (and IIRC, it's the model that the late Cliff Burton used in his solos with Metallica). The others are also awesome, though.

PWBs, PWFs, and the Power Wahs with rotating speaker simulation (via the old oilcan method) go for over $100 on eBay, sometimes up to $200. How much did you get yours for, miacomet?

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    That really takes me back. I had the same exact pedal, back in the 80's, and I thought it was awesome. My band at the time didn't, so it got sold off years ago. Don't let your band push you around, let that puppy scream.

5. Sheesh! Any schmuck who tries to tell me how to get my sound swiftly cops a 10lb Stingray to the head! :hyper:

6. miacomet

miacomet

Dec 10, 2005
    North of Boston
    mysticboo, It is a gift from a buddy of mine. He has not played since the 80's and was cleaning out his attic and came across some old gear! If I like it I will keep it if not....ebay city....Could be a pretty sweet attic score!

7. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    I bought my Stingray for a similar reason: zombie repellent. :ninja:

Oh, and it sounds nice, too. :D

It's a nice score as it is, whether or not you like it! I bet it'd sell well even on TalkBass. Just make sure it still works!

8. TheGrizz

TheGrizz

Nov 19, 2007
    Athol, MA
    Sponsored Artist: Free Idea Clothing
    I have a PWF, and it sounds great. I found it in my basement. My dad plays guitar and had some old gear sitting and gathering rust. He asked me to clean out that area, and that's when I found it. I took it to the store I work at and the tech cleaned and fixed it. Have a wah and volume in the same pedal is cool. I think the fuzz is a little weak, so use a Big Muff instead. Don't let it go, it is one of the best bass wahs you can get.

9. Would anyone be willing to sell a Morley power wah fuzz?I've been trying to get my hands on one for close to three years now but I haven't had any luck.Please E-mail me at ortega.jared@gmail.com if you or anyone you know has one that they would be willing to sell.

10. So TheGrizz, do you think you can help me out?

11. So TheGrizz, do you think you can help me out?

12. I got you covered. PM'd

13. What do you mean?

14. Can you help me out a little with the Morley situation?

15. skiscem

skiscem Supporting Member

check your private messages, i think rc collins sent you one...

16. Alright guys im really tired and im gonna get to bed so just just E-mail me at ortega.jared@gmail.com if you guys can get me some info about someone selling a Morley power wah fuzz pedal.Thanx.

17. How do i check my private messages?

18. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    You can get to your PMs via a link at the top of the window (right under where it says "Welcome Jerry Only"), or through your User Control Panel on TalkBass.

BTW, you're technically not supposed to post "Wanted" ads here. It's against the rules. We have a separate subforum for that in the Classifieds section of TB. Just a heads-up.

19. K thanx bro ill keep that in mind.All right guys im gonna hit the sac now im pooped.

20. zachary xxx

zachary xxx

Mar 6, 2006
    these things are all over ebay...