1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Morley Steve Vai Bad Horsie Wah .... opinions?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bobulibobium, Apr 18, 2009.

1. my friend is selling one of these pretty cheap and i was thinking of taking that offer as its a good price.

anyone have any sound clips or reviews of this? ill probably try it out myself soon and ill decide for myself, but im wondering what you guys think about it

2. andvari7

andvari7

Aug 28, 2004
    Ennui
    Since this a bass forum, I assume you want to know how it is on bass. All I can say is: don't buy it. It is spring-loaded, which I don't much like, and Morley pedals take up a large plot on the floor. The sound - the crux of the post - seems...off...on bass, but it sounds a whole lot better than the Zakk Wylde wah (anything with Wylde's name on it is a no-go, in my book).

3. TheHegemon

TheHegemon

Feb 20, 2009
    Amarillo, TX
    I bought one and didn't like it, just didn't give the kind of tone I liked. Returned it for a crybaby which has done well for me for a while now.

4. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Man, I have heard of using guitar pedals on bass, but this is taking it to an extreme.

Im sure you could find a decent wah pedal for the same price here on the TB Classifieds.

5. i have a 105Q crybaby allready, im just wondering what combining the two could be like....

jordasch, many guitar pedals can be used on bass; chrous, flange and phase to name a few others. ive played my friends 535Q crybaby and that sounded pretty cool, i dont recall low end loss.

its a good price, and i just wondered what people thought. im not looking for something to gig with, just something to mess around with for a while, and maybe use if its good enough.

i heard it also adds fuzz to the wah, doesnt sound too bad.

6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Extreme low end loss. Sure, you can use plenty-o-guitar pedals with bass, but a few to watch out for are fuzz's, o/d's, and wah pedals.

7. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    I had a Bad Horsie 2 a long time ago for a week, and I remember noticeable low end loss and a tone better suited for guitar.

If you want the Morley sound in a format friendlier for bass, go for the Power Wah (which sounds similar to the old chrome Morley wahs) or the Dual Bass Wah (my favorite wah for bass, but just to warn you, it's nothing like the Bass Crybaby).

8. its ok, im not looking for crybaby style wah, i wanted an argressive wah, or something more powerful and edgy. i heard morley did this.

9. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    Then you'll want to try one of these:

• Morley Dual Bass Wah (Traditional Mode is my favorite)
    • Morley Power Wah (the current reissue with the "Boost" knob, not the older ones)
    • Morley Power Wah Boost (the old chrome one from the "Tel-Ray" era of Morley, for that Cliff Burton wah roar)
    Outside of Morley, check out these for a unique non-Crybaby tone:

• Chicago Iron Parachute (for Geezer Butler style wah... if you've heard "Sign of the Southern Cross," you'll get a pretty good idea of how unusual this wah is)
    • Ibanez Weeping Demon

There are other non-funky wahs out there, too, but these are the ones that came to mind first.

10. I've got the wah/volume/distortion from Morley. In my experience I haven't suffered from any low end loss while using the wah, or even the distortion (provided you don't go crazy with with the amount of distrotion or the tone control). My only gripe has been the wah footswitch, which will occasionally fail to engage the effect. Cured using an LS-2, which also allows for blending oportunities.

Seeing as the bad horsie is geared towards the vai guitar sound, i wouldn't expect it to work as an 'everyday' bass wah, but it might provide a specific tone the player likes. Horses for courses, if you will...:rolleyes: (pardon the pun)

+1 Morleys take a big chunk of pedalboard real estate

11. theunknowndude

theunknowndude Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2007
    Adelaide, Australia
    out of interest whats the size in comparison to the weeping demon?

I like my demon but im only 98% happy and not 100%... keep gassing for morley even though I havent tried it which is a big no no... hmmm

12. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    FYI most guitar wahs are basically a variable band pass filter, which by it's very nature cuts out all your bottom end. Might not be a big deal through some little practice combo by yourself, YOU may not even notice the low end loss, but virtually useless in any practical setting.

13. haha

so specifically, this pedal is not worth my money. i wasnt really looking into a new wah pedal, just interested in this cause it was being sold :p

14. cliffjr

cliffjr

Apr 25, 2009
    if it's the first bad horsie wah, don't get it. the setting simply doesn't work for a bass.
    however, I own a bad horsie 2 contour wah, and it's amazing
    much better sound than power wah and more powerful