1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Morley Tel-Ray Power wah boost

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BCRichguy, Apr 7, 2018.

1. BCRichguy

BCRichguy

Jan 2, 2018
    I just scored a Morley Tel-Ray Power wah boost on ebay for what I think is a pretty good deal. I have a new Morley Cliff Burton power fuzz wah currently and was never WOWed with it...it was ok...but not what I thought I was going to get as far as the fuzz part especially. Im hoping that the sound from this is a little fuller and knowing that Geezer used the same pedal for a big chunk of the 70s I'm hoping it will fill more than one void in my set-up.
    Any thoughts on what to expect/look for? Any mods/upgrades that are worth knowing about (without wrecking it of course)?
    Thanks everybody!

2. Loring

Loring

May 4, 2017
    Ontario

Didn't Geezer use the parapedal from tycobrahe? I know he used their flanger. Saw the new Geezer Dunlop and although I don't like the form factor (of any of the crybabies actually) it sounds really good.

I have the cliff burton morley and find the wah a little thin and tbh I'm getting better distortion elsewhere in my chain.

BCRichguy likes this.
  3. BCRichguy

BCRichguy

Jan 2, 2018
    Yeah, I found it quite thin for what I expected, but I have read where there really is a big difference in a 70s one and any of the re-issues so I'm hoping for the best when It comes in. I never liked the Crybaby style wah either, or the asthetic. Also, I got the Power wah for about $100 less than a new Geezer wah, shipped...so, there's that..lol.

Loring likes this.
  4. Loring

Loring

May 4, 2017
    Ontario
    Apparently you can mod them a bit by changing the aperture for the light inside.

BCRichguy likes this.
  5. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    The 70s Power Wah Boost pedals are beastly! The sweep is massively wide, and there is a big chunk near the heel range that seems to add balls and clarity. The main downsides are the size/weight, power requirements and that the wah is super weak (unusable in my opinion) without the Boost engaged and pushed a bit, so you’ll need an amp that sounds good pushed at the front end to really take advantage of it. There were some sweet-spot tones on mine that I wanted to just use as straight “all the time” cocked-wah tones, but the pedal was so unwieldy that it wasn’t practical. I’ve yet to find another way to get those tones though, so I miss mine. The closest I’ve found was a bass with Alembic pickups and filter preamp...

biguglyman and BCRichguy like this.
  6. hintz

hintz

Jun 5, 2014
    wahiawa, HI(Oahu)
    I had that same reissue Cliff Burton wah for about a year and ended up running it through an LS2 as a clean blend and left it always on (so I didn't have to engage a switch and *then* the wah but also didn't lose the bottom like it does).

At the time I only used a slight bit of "fuzz" on the wah itself but more so the OCD before it and had the volume on the wah boosted so when I pushed it down it really stood out. I should've kept it actually, it was cool with the help of a clean blend!

Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
  7. BCRichguy

BCRichguy

Jan 2, 2018
    Yeah, I can see where that would be cool, but still no where near what I expected as far as performance though. I'm really hoping the boost is better at keeping the bottom in.

8. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    If you find the PWB lacking in bass when the Boost is engaged then I would suggest there’s probably an issue with the pedal! The lower half or so of the sweep should add a fair amount of punch unlike most wahs with bass. The way the pedal works is prone to needing adjustment at times. I would Google suggested Morley maintenance. The mechanism is a light-dependent resistor being fed light from a lightbulb, and the pedal simply moves a piece of black cloth between the two to allow more light on one end and no light on the other end. There are tons of ways to intensify this action (or the opposite to make the sweep less intense). Definitely good for tweaking/experimentation. The tape that holds the cloth is something that needs replacement on a semi-regular basis, and the lightbulbs also need to be replaced at times. There are also some trim pots inside though I can’t exactly recall their function. In other words, if it doesn’t sound great right when you receive it be ready to open it up and experiment- the goodness is there to find!

BCRichguy likes this.
  9. BCRichguy

BCRichguy

Jan 2, 2018
    20180413_141722.

Ok, so It had Arrived! It sounds better than I had hoped. The pedal itself could use a bit of tightening up, but it works great, sounds awesome and mixed with my blended gain channel sounds BALLS! Don't even need the boost part, but DAMN does it boost! Im in love I tell ya!

Loring likes this.