1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Morning Phase (drum) recording

Discussion in 'Ask Justin Meldal-Johnsen' started by NJlo, Dec 19, 2017.

1. NJlo

NJlo

Dec 11, 2015
    I realise this is not the usual scope of this forum, but hey, here goes. Is there anything you can share about recording Morning Phase? That is sonically one of my favourite records ever, so if you remember anything about drum mic'ing, acoustic guitars and of course bass I'm all ears :)

2. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen

Mar 25, 2005
    There's information about this already discussed if you search "Sea Change" or "Mutations". The reason why this is applicable is because we literally recorded all three albums in the same fashion: same engineer, same room, same mics, same people, and a fair amount of the same gear. I've also talked about this on Gearslutz and you can find some info there too. If those don't satisfy, then come back after you've read all that stuff and ask me some more direct questions here.

jwindham likes this.
  3. NJlo

NJlo

Dec 11, 2015
    Cool, thanks! I spent some time searching around this forum and gearslutz and one thing I couldn't work out, do you know anything about how the drums were mic'd?

So far I'm guessing mono overhead (I see a C12 on one picture) and fairly simple setup, lots of dampening and no front head on the kick.. Concert toms undermic'd?

4. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen

Mar 25, 2005
    I don't remember specifics. Lots of C12's, C12A's, 47's. The luxury of a great collection. The setup was not as simple as you think, however. Different drum kits per song, too. Sometimes front head, sometimes not.