MORON headline act...

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Grahams Groove, Jun 8, 2002.

1. My band played as kind of an opener at a festival earlier this evening, and about 45 or 50 minutes into our 1 hour set, they start soundchecking and getting tons of feedback DURING our playing. Just so you can visualize, we are in a large large tent, with their stage at one end, a bunch of people in the middle with tables and stuff, and then our stage at the other end, prolly about 60 yards away or so....give or take.

Needless to say, our band thought it was the "tackiest" and most unprofessional thing we'd seen to date. We ended up actually saying somehting to the band, and they just kinda BS'ed and mumbled about it....

But it was a good gig other than I'll stop the complaints.

2. I've got an even worse story for you:

Cornell had a music festival in a room in the North Campus student union. They called it "The Eclectic Cafe"; the idea was to get as many styles of music as possible in one room. There was a small corner of the room where acoustic acts would play between sets on the main stage.

My friend's jazz band was playing in the corner while the "Bernie Milton Soul Patrol" was setting up on the main stage. Right in the middle of a gorgeous piano cadenza at the end of a ballad, the bassist from the Soul Patrol starts slapping away at full blast, with enough treble to destroy eardrums at three miles. Few were amused. What few people had been there as it was all left. (Campus Life passed up the Dismemberment Plan/Death Cab for Cutie/Cex tour because they didn't want to spend $5000, even though well over 300 people had come to the gig the Plan played in the same room the previous year, and then they brought in a bunch of no-name acts for $10000--and there were never more than 50 people in the room.)