1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Moron of the week nomination: attn chemists

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Tim Cole, May 8, 2003.

  1. Tim Cole

    Tim Cole Supporting Member

    Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I'd like to nominate my brother, sometimes he just doesn't use his head.

    He came home today, and his wife told him that their bathtub had plugged up. So he goes upstairs, and immediately dumps a whole bottle of liquid plumber, or something of the type in. It doesn't do anything, so after a while, he takes a different kind of drain cleaner, and dumps it in also. Well, to say the least, there was a bit of a chemical reaction. I guess it gassed the place so bad, you couldn't stand to be inside for more than a minute at the most. My brother started vomiting some kind of white foam, but refused to go to the hospital. So they left it, packed up the family, and went to stay the night at my parents.

    They share a house with another family, a duplex style house. They did call and leave a message on their machine about it, and went on their way.

    My Mom called me to tell me about all of this, and I pleaded with her to call the fire department, poison control, or someone else that would know about it to come check it out, dispose of it, and tell my brother what a moron he was for doing this. They decided not to.

    Seems to me if the reaction was that strong, that there could be a possibility of corrosion through the tub and plumbing, and possibly very explosive....I know you can make bombs with the stuff.

    Hopefully I am just overreacting to the situation, I guess morning will let us know for sure. I just hope the other family in the other duplex doesn't suffer any problems because of this....I wish they would have listened to me, and had qualified personnel check it out. :(
  2. Yeah man you should always get that stuff checked out.

    We once had to evacuate a whole floor of the chem
    building because an inorganic chem student had mixed something up that filled the room with a highly flammable and toxic gas.

    Head of chem department was not a happy chappy and took the prac off the course.
  3. Chace90

    Chace90 Supporting Member

    Feb 1, 2002
    Denver, CO
    I would think that if one drain cleaner doesn't work, using something else probably won't be any different. They both serve the same purpose. Why would one not work? Your brother sounds stubborn. I definetly would try and handle it myself if I made the mistake, at least for my sake.

    Anyway, sounds like he needs some plumbing repair either way, guess he just found out the hard way. :)
  4. Mike Money

    Mike Money Banned

    Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Whoa... I need to talk to your brother.

    We seem to be stupid in the same ways...

    I dump gas on the street, light it on fire, then put it out with water.

    He mixes Chemicals that react and cause poisonous gases.

    We would be quite a duo.
  5. Tim Cole

    Tim Cole Supporting Member

    Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I don't think you need his help to find stupid stuff to do, you seem pretty sucessful on your own. At least his had a CHANCE to work OK without disaster, unlike yours.

    Besides he has an excuse....he is a G****R player!!!!!!!!
  6. JMX

    JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

    Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Tell your brother to RTFM in future.
  7. Brilliant. Today let's play around with powerful oxidising agents, kids.

    When I was a Chem Eng student, they showed us pictures of what sometimes happens to people who disrespect potent chemicals.

  8. I worked with a dishwasher that did the same thing trying to scrub the floor. He put bleach and ammonia in the mop bucket and the whole restaurant was evacuated. Potentially deadly stuff.
  9. jcadmus


    Apr 2, 2000
    Yeah, your brother is a dope alright, but I think this guy gets my vote (from Bonehead of the Day):

    You! Out Of The Gene Pool!

    Bonehead award one, a “here, hold my beer and watch this” bonehead award, goes to Kevin Barnes of Northhamptonshire in the UK who stuck a homemade pipe bomb into his mouth and, to show off to his roommates and his girlfriend, began flicking a lighter near the fuse. The bomb apparently was well made. His head must have exploded with pride. His death was ruled an accident.

    BBC 7-May-03
  10. Matthew Bryson

    Matthew Bryson Guest

    Jul 30, 2001
    Yeah..thata boy - I real man will never willingly go to the hospital...

    Whoa, what happened to him...now he's a girly boy...when that happens (and who hasn't had this happen) you open the window, hold your breath, grab the toilet plunger and get them toxic chemicals down the drain, you don't quit and go to mommies house...
  11. That's the first thing I thought when reading this thread..... why immediatly dump some toxic, expensive chemicals down the plughole (without even reading the instructions!) when a plunger is cheap, and IME far more effective?


    Is this what they call progress?:rolleyes:
  12. thrash_jazz


    Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    I believe "laziness" is the word you're looking for...