1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Morrighan's Mystery Date NBD /w shockingly poor photos

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Morrighan, Jul 17, 2018.

1. Morrighan

Morrighan La Contessa Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2015
    Isle of Everywhere
    The coolest music ever in the summer of 1965 comes through the transistor radios we all listen to.

Seems plain enough:

mystery date.jpg WP_20180716_11_35_25_Pro.jpg

My own mystery date with a new bass! (another 1965 clue :nailbiting: )

Mine is the StingRay I bought new from a brick and mortar thirty-nine years ago.

6292135.jpg

And, until this moment, is my bass; my one-and-only bass. No matter how strange my life's path, my bass stayed with me, and I with my bass. It is what is important to me. Has always been, is now.

Full scale bass, check.
    Iconic tone and presence, check.

My Ray is perfect for me. The Ray, though, is now older, like me. All the dents in the headstock ... doorways, cymbals. That there freckle happened when I tripped walking on to a dark stage. And so on. The finish is brittle these days, and my Ray gets all the TLC it deserves.

It seems to me time my Ray goes into semi-retirement, methinks, and looking for a new voice for the bass tones I hear. A new voice that sounds just like the summer of 1965 is just what the doctor ordered.

Chrome.
    Twiddly knobs.
    Chrome.
    Blue
    Blue.

WP_20180716_12_10_03_Pro.jpg

Mystery Date WIN! :woot:

Selected without ever having played a short scale before, without ever having played a semi-hollow bass before; and without ever having owned a passive bass. Took a leap of faith and here it is, my very own Mystery Date NBD, a Chowny CHB-1:

WP_20180716_12_11_33_Pro.jpg

this is just minutes following the unboxing. Smrtphone pix in variable light that is far from ideal. That's okay, hey to-morrow I can shoot some proper photos. Except it's to-morrow now and there's a thunderstorm rolling through. What the hey, just think of these as Kerouac pix, done without revision as the event of NBD occurs in real time. Odin wants to know what's here:

WP_20180716_11_48_16_Pro.jpg

The slightest shift in the light changes the entire appearance of this flawless blueburst! Oh yeah and it's got a blueburst headstock too:

WP_20180716_12_11_54_Pro.jpg

You gotta know this one is plugged in as soon as I can get a guitar strap on what feels to me very wide strap buttons. A three inch Franklin picked for this bass arrived long before the bass was ordered. It's the strap a pic or two above: chocolate leather and white cinch strap material.

First thing is it doesn't feel the same, not sure how I'm going to hold this bass. This semi-hollow body is big. I knew I wanted something completely different from my Ray and here we go with the obligatory first impressions!

Fit and finish is superb. There must be some trivial blemish somewhere waiting to deflate that observation, but below my radar. What came out of the shipping sleeve feels of extremely high quality.

Everything out of the box is as good as or better than expected. Fret work is great and there are no fret sprouts. It's 1 5/8s at the nut and the neck feels very good to me. Tuners feel solid.

The sound ... mwahahaha

just what I have in mind, which is about as good as it gets.

2. Yay!!!

Fat Freddy, Spidey2112 and Morrighan like this.
  3. lowplaces

lowplaces Got Punch ?

Dec 20, 2015
    Louisville Kentucky
    Congrats, looks sweet ! Dig the filtertron style pickups.

Great taste in straps too.
    Love my Franklin.
    0717182146.jpg

4. This one, then, for the next 39 years.

5. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Awesome, @Morrighan! Love your description and presentation, too!

6. the harp unstrung

the harp unstrung Humankind: be both. Gold Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2014
    On The Bus
    N.A.
    Rest your heart and soul tonight...
    Know that both Jack and Odin are pleased, and pleased for you.

As are we all! :thumbsup:

Morrighan and lowplaces like this.
  7. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    Very nice, Congrats!

Morrighan and the harp unstrung like this.
  8. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    I've always wondered why those ten-year-old girls wanted to date college-age guys.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
    gebass6 and Morrighan like this.
  9. tb4sbp

tb4sbp

May 9, 2017
    North East
    Very cool and sexy bass
    I have not seen a more impressive bass in a while

Kudos and enjoy

Morrighan likes this.
  10. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    It'd be nice to see some Chowny basses hanging up when I go to Russo's, Sam Ash, 8th Street Music, Robbie's, or one of the four or five Guitar Centers I go to.

DrummerwStrings and Morrighan like this.
  11. Morrighan

Morrighan La Contessa Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2015
    Isle of Everywhere
    Did you now. :roflmao:

And the bass is made in India. Forgot to mention that.

Now with a little time on board, I observe how easy this bass is for me to play. It feels responsive to a light touch. Came new with D'Addario rounds. A set of D'Addario nylon tapes are in line for takeoff. Just flip this little chromium switch here ... real futuristic. /wonders about that leopard skin pillbox hat

12. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Congratulations on your new bass...may you share many wonderful adventures together.

13. nbsipics

nbsipics Ours' is the only Reality of Consequence Gold Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2016
    Nice bass! Enjoy.

the harp unstrung and Morrighan like this.
  14. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    My wife hums the theme to Mystery Date when I show up in ratty paint or grease spattered work clothes. Is he a Dream, or a Dud?

15. You wanted a mid 60s vibe and this beauty will definitely deliver it. The semi hollow body was very popular with British Invasion era bands. I remember that distinct thump that only a semi hollow body bass could produce. Good luck with your new pride and joy.:D

16. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: Awesome blueburst, reminds me of a late-60s hollowbody Ibanez I used to have :)

Morrighan likes this.
  17. SactoBass

SactoBass A retired civil engineer who likes all-tube amps! Supporting Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Lake Havasu City, AZ
    "That new bass is saWEET!"
    f044493e-9a95-4344-bc49-b1d2ba117210.jpg

Morrighan likes this.
  18. Nice! If it’s like a Casady, it calls for a long strap. Play it down on your hip.

Morrighan likes this.
  19. I’ve never gotten on too well with the big body semi hollows but they do sound awesome with flats when played with a pick.

the harp unstrung and Morrighan like this.
  20. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2016
    Albany NY
    You bought well my friend....:):thumbsup:

Morrighan likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 17, 2021