1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Morrighan's Mystery Date NBD /w shockingly poor photos

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Morrighan, Jul 17, 2018.

1. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Floating bridges are a bit of a PITA, my son has a Hofner clone, having got it intonated, we mark the bridge perimeter with tape before changing strings. That gets you back in the ballpark immediately, then it’s just fine adjustments. That bridge looks identical to the one my son has, just pieces of fret wire slotted into the wood, and wheels for height adjustment. The fret pieces do tend to move around if you don’t glue them in. Intonation can get a little iffy at the Dusty End, but not bad. Nice looking bass, love that bound F-hole look. How’s it balance.

Morrighan likes this.
  2. I think people are wary of it moving around while changing strings. One could use some masking tape to outline the position before unstringing.
    I’ve never heard of Chowny, not that that’s a big deal. Congratulations to you on getting the Indians to do quality work. All of the incense burners, knickknack boxes,cutting boards etc I’ve seen from that country have been of very mediocre quality.

Gilmourisgod likes this.
  3. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2016
    Albany NY
    I find setting up a "regular" bass fiddly enough but having the bridge wandering around willy nilly just sounds to me like an added level of fiddle....:whistle:

the harp unstrung likes this.
  4. chowny

chowny Commercial User

Mar 22, 2013
    Official Chowny Representative
    Change them one at a time. Problem solved :)

5. Morrighan

Morrighan La Contessa Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2015
    Isle of Everywhere
    Seems to me once it's set up, it's set up unless you change string gauges. Change strings one at a time and the bridge should stay where it is with some care, IMO.

Mine arrived properly intonated.

6. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    It's Fiddly all right, but you only have to fiddle it if you change string brands or guages. I think it took us around 20 minutes when my son changed from rounds to flats on his Hofner clone. You can move the fretwire saddles from one slot to another, but we found the factory locations worked best, not surprisingly. We used an electronic tuner to get the E and G strings intonated under string tension by tapping the bridge in tiny increments using a small hammer and wood dowel against the wood bridge, The A and D strings will always be a bit ... approximate... so we decided to just not look at the electronic tuner for those strings! If I can't hear it, it's good enough, you can drive yourself crazy with a Strobe tuner, even with a modern adjustable bridge.

7. Good idea, I hadn’t thought of that. I do like the way the bridge is configured with the grooves and a saddle in each groove. Seems like an elegant solution to the problem.

8. Yeah, I think people can get caught up in chasing the intonation dragon. I check mine every couple of years, but I don’t do any high faulting recording.

9. the harp unstrung

the harp unstrung Humankind: be both. Gold Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2014
    On The Bus
    N.A.
    I use the Snark to nail down the G, and then use 7th and 5th fret harmonics to tune the rest.
    Always have...

Gilmourisgod likes this.
  10. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    What’s a Snark? Tuner?

11. Morrighan

Morrighan La Contessa Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2015
    Isle of Everywhere
    Adjusting the bridge for the very first time felt easy for me. No wrenches, no screwdriver.

The bass came with D'Addario rounds. The strings sound quite good to me, yet the intent is a [fuzzy adjective] tone. D'Addario tapes now grace the Chowny.

For some reason I nailed my preferred string height on first try. Set the intonation with a TC Unitune. Altogether it didn't take me any more time to adjust the bridge than it does to adjust a fixed bridge.

:: snoopy dance ::​

12. the harp unstrung

the harp unstrung Humankind: be both. Gold Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2014
    On The Bus
    N.A.
    33E3DE33-32E1-47C5-8F88-997256FD95B1.jpeg
    Not only a fine product, but apparently only nice people who care about their jobs and their customers work there!

I had a problem...the grip that holds the face on broke...and mailed it back to them.
    The note I sent along went something like: ‘I hope you choose to replace it, but if you don’t, no worries...I’ll just buy another’.
    They cost about $20.

How did they respond?

They sent me two new ones, a hand written note from the QC lady, and a Christmas card signed by 6 or 8 employees!

Talk about making a customer for life!
    I brag on them every chance I get.

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 6, 2021