Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Morrissey

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by LarryO, Oct 22, 2005.

1. LarryO

LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    First off I have to say I've been a fan of Morrissey and The Smiths for a long time. I bought a concert dvd "Who Put The "M" In Manchester" and was blown away by the on stage musicianship of his band, (not the Smiths). Any fan should own this video

2. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I'll have to check that one out. I haven't paid much attention to Morrissey after the Smiths, but I was a pretty big Smiths fan years ago. I still have "The Queen Is Dead" on vinyl. :)

3. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Morrissey is an amazing lyricist, but I still like him in the Smiths more.

4. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I have this DVD. It was worth it just to see There is a Light that Never Goes Out played live.

5. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    One of my best friends is one of Morrisey's disiciples. Honestly, calling her a fan would be to do injustice to the depth that her love of the man. She's been to about every Morrisey show in NYC for the past 4 years (seen him something like 8 times...probably more.) The highlight of her life was dancing onstage in a circle around him. I know more about Morrisey than I ever thought possible....and I don't even like the Smiths!

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I loved that last album - but I'm surprised he has any US fans after this track :

America is Not The World
    Album: You Are The Quarry

America your head's too big, Because America, Your belly's too big
    And I love you, I just wish you'd stay where you is

In America, The land of the free, they said, And of opportunity, In a just and a truthful way
    But where the president, Is never black, female or gay, And until that day
    You've got nothing to say to me, To help me believe

In America, It brought you the hamburger, Well America you know where, You can shove your hamburger
    And don't you wonder, Why in Estonia they say, Hey you, Big fat pig
    You fat pig, You fat pig

:D

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Are you kidding? Americans love when foreigners goof on us! If you don't have detractors, you're doing something wrong.

I still hate Morrissey, though. Never saw a guy quite in love with himself to the level that Morrissey is. It's like he's the type of guy who would make out with himself if he could.

8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    That song isn't attacking America really, at least not all Americans, because we are not all like that.

That said Morrissey/The Smiths make me die on the inside due to lack of good.

9. LarryO

LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    Every country has it's blemishes. So what if he is pointing some of Ours out. I could go on and on about any country's problems. That's not the point. I like his music. I am not going to stop eating meat because Morrissey is a vegitarian...LOL. The point is I like his music and this is a great DVD.
    "First of the Gang to Die", "Irish blood, English Heart" and "Jack the Ripper" we my favorite performances on this DVD

10. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    +1

I don't care for Moz's political correctness and the fact that he is a butt buccaneer but I like his showmanship, his words and his music.

11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

LOL - I'm sure thats' what his label's US Marketing team said as well!! :D

12. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    The major draw for me always was Andy Rourke's and Johnny Marr's interplay. Mike Joyce was solid and had its moments and Morrissey's lyrics were intelligent and literate, which is a rare thing. It all added up to some great music.

After the Smiths ended, I went out and got Viva Hate and also some of his other solo stuff, but I missed Rourke, Marr and Joyce too much, so I don't follow his output much anymore.

I think it's fair to say that a talent of the caliber of Morrissey could only have been produced in England.

13. I never got "it" about either the Smiths or Morrisey.

There's that one big Smiths song that's OK, I guess.

14. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Yeah well... why you go drink some tea?