1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Morrissey's musical talents

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ElectroVibe, Mar 24, 2013.

1. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

Mar 2, 2013
    Reading about the Andy Rourke (Smiths bassist) there was a lot of discussion about how "greedy" Morrissey was because he didn't want the bassist and drummer to receive the same amount or royalties as he and Johnny Marr, the principal songwriters, received.

I've noticed the Morrissey is credited merely as the lyricist. Marr is the music writer. But (discounting the band lawsuit) shouldn't Morrissey actually receive a little more credit than that? I mean, I believe that his melodic contributions were quite significant. He obviously seems to have written the melodies in addition to the lyrics. I've never heard that stated by anyone in the band, but it seems obvious. They fit his vocal style perfectly. (I don't think Marr created some kind of extra melodic voice on top of his guitar).

They described the songwriting process as Johnny Marr creating a musical instrumental track, which Morrissey would then take home and listen to for a while, developing the lyrics over Johnny's guitar instrumentals.

Do you think that Morrissey deserves more credit somehow?

2. I think I've never been in a band where one person wrote all of the music and one person wrote and sang all of the words. I'm pretty sure I'd never be in a band like that but I figure if I ever were in a band like that I'd have to give the writer and singer a little more credit than me.

3. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

Mar 2, 2013
    Elton John and Bernie Taupin are sort of one example. But that was done where Bernie wrote the lyrics first, then Elton would create all the melodies and music based on the lyrics. But Bernie wasn't a member of the band.

Rush is another example. The drummer wrote all the lyrics first, but no melodies.

4. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

Mar 2, 2013
    They were such a great band. You really have to give credit to Morrissey. He based his lyrics around the feel of the backing music. The tone of the words and music always seemed to go hand in hand.