Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MOS FET amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mikemulcahy, Aug 31, 2000.

1. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    I would like some intelligent opinions on MOS FET amps. I am considering one and have never used one.

2. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    Well, for starters MOSFETS are a type of transistor that switches faster than standard transistors. This means that they run a lot cooler which ultimately makes them more reliable and longer lasting.

3. I know alot of car audio amps use Mos Fets. I don't really know if many bass amps do or not. Later!

Woffy Out!

4. There's absolutely no distinguishable difference in sound between mosfets and normal (bipolar) transistors. Mosfet are just a different type of transistor. When applied in a certain way, they are a little bit more efficient.

The name says it all. Mosfet stands for Metal Oxide Semiconductor Field Effect Transistor. Just a transistor. No special stuff. Your computer holds millions and millions of'em .............

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Hey Joris ... don't most modern solid state power amps use MOSFETs anyway?

6. True. And most brands don't put it in their specs, cause it's nothing to be bragging about, there's nothing to brag. Fortunately, real tech heads know there's no difference. A few years ago, mosfet were the latest (solid) state of the art technology. At the recent speed of developments, probably another technology like IGBT will take the lead in advertisements, or Triac, Thyristor, PWM, Class H, or whatever sounds interesing.

(IGBT=Insulated Gate Bipolar Transistor, a combination of a mosfet and a bipolar [normal] transistor)

7. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Now, are these IGBT's doped with lithium?

8. Wha?

9. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    I was afraid of this ... bipolar disorder ... lithium is the medication. It was a stretch. I thought at least one person would get it. Never mind.

10. Please note: I'm Dutch. Most puns are wasted on me.... Nice try though. :D:D:D