Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mosaic Select Paul Chambers

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by Silversorcerer, Jun 16, 2005.

1. As I type I am about half-way through the first listen to some tough to come by Paul Chambers that has been re-released in a boxed CD set (3) by Mosaic Records. Included are tracks from 4 albums with Chambers as leader and some other choice goodies including two previously unreleased tracks.

It is really choice material. Oh, it's a limited edition boxed set, too. Pretty reasonable for 3 CDs. :)

2. ctcruiser

ctcruiser

Jan 16, 2005
    West Haven, CT
    It is a terrific collection of his music. I would highly recommend buying this box set.

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

As I mentioned in another thread - in the UK it's listed at £48.99!! :eek:
    Whereas I can get "Bass on Top" for example, for about £8 - so is it really that much better - i.e. worth 6 times the price!!??

4. Well, it may be that it depends on which side of the water one is on, so I suppose it is different in the UK. To get a new CD of Bass On Top in the USA would mean ordering a Japanese import for $39 USD. The Mosaic boxed set was $39 USD + $5 shipping. This was through Amazon.com for the import. Mosaic is a US distributor so it makes sense. I looked quite a bit and the only domestic listings for Bass on Top were for used vinyl.

The boxed set, while it is only 3 CD's is actually 4 vinyl albums plus 6 other tracks, two of which consist of Chambers and Art Blakey jamming for several minutes with no band. In the USA most of the music on these CD's would be hard to find.

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

My copy finally turned up from the US ! :)

I notice it says No. 4847 of a limited edition of 5,000 - not many left!!

Listened to the first 2 Cds and there's some nice stuff - although I don't like the Arco solos...:meh:

6. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Chambers used gut strings and they sounded pretty nasal!
    It's kind of weird that they guy who got the worlds most
    beautiful pizzicato sound, i.e. the bounce. had such a different
    sound arco. I still think the solos themselves are killer even, if
    the actual tone quality is poor. I'm pretty sure that many examples
    of arco solos from this period were not recorded very well either. Those really famous Jimmy Blanton solos are great,
    but they sound really funky.

Ric Vice

7. That's cool. BTW, mine was copy No.4539. Like hotcakes. I think perhaps for me there is a nostalgic appeal in that kind of arco sound, which I find very pleasing. Particularly his playing on "Yesterdays" on CD three. I would love to be able to get that tone, even though I agree that it is a little nasal, but not in the way steel can sound nasal.

You mention Jimmy Blanton, but to spice the thread a bit, who of the jazz bassists had the more pleasing tone for arco, in your opinion? I have some Mingus, etc., but who is your favorite guy arco? I'm looking to diversify what I'm listening to a bit.

8. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Is that a question for anyone? Michael Moore is at the top. David Friesen is great, not very "mainstream". Stanley Clarke, great. Christian McBride. Mingus.

And PC.

9. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    What Christian McBride can I check out where he's playing arco?

10. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    Slam Stewart. Great phrasing and swingin'.

11. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Jeez, I can't even remember the titles. People give me his CDs for birthdays, etc. I'd have to check 'em out. He's done so many recordings, they might even be sideman dates.

Patitucci does some nice arco. There's a little bit of it on Wayne Shorter's live CD. (Sorry, I suck at title retention.)

Slam was great.

12. ctcruiser

ctcruiser

Jan 16, 2005
    West Haven, CT
    Try "Gettin' To It" his solo record or "Superbass and Superbass II :) " with Ray Brown and John Clayton

13. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    You mention Jimmy Blanton, but to spice the thread a bit, who of the jazz bassists had the more pleasing tone for arco, in your opinion? I have some Mingus, etc., but who is your favorite guy arco? I'm looking to diversify what I'm listening to a bit.

As someone mentioned Michael Moore is incredible. You should definitely
    also get your hands on The Clayton Brothers album titled"The Music on Capri Records John Clayton has a beautiful bowed sound on the ballad "Only the Lonely." It's as good as it gets. John also did a solo on the Charlie Chaplin tune "Smile", for the first Clayton Brothers album on Concord,
    but I doubt whether that ever made it to CD. Anyone know whether it did
    or not?
    Major Holley also did a album with Slam Stewart that was very nice. I might still be out there, I just can't say.
    Glen Moore of Oregon uses the bow in very musical and interesting ways as well.

:)

14. Pcocobass

Pcocobass

Jun 16, 2005
    New York
    I think PC's arco sound is great. It's real gritty and in-your-face. Not very polite! And he just swings so hard with the bow.

Slam's arco is much prettier, but you have to listen through his singing to really appreciate it. His album "Slam Bam" is amazing, and the recording quality is excellent. He also has some recordings with Art Tatum (I think it's the complete Columbia sessions, but I could be wrong) that are damn good, too.

Christian McBride takes a nice arco solo on Benny Green's "Testifyin'." That's a great cd, too.

I always wonder with older recording how much of it is the sound of the bassist and how much of it is poor recording quality...

15. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Oh yeah, John Clayton! I love that guy.

Ray did some beautiful arco on a James Williams trio CD I used to have, with Elvin. There's some others too, can't remember what they are (imagine that : :rolleyes: ) Somebody here with a better memory for titles will probably come up with some.

Arghh, keep thinking of more greats; John Goldsby, who literally "wrote the book" about arco jazz bass techniques. Great book. There's some really nice arco stuff on his solo CDs, which you could audition at Amazon.

16. Red Mitchell....I think the only one available now where you can hear him bow is: The Red Mitchell/Harold Land Quintet...Hear Ye, Hear Ye, Hear Ye! Atlantic label.
    Red was trying to get his arco work to sound like Gene Ammons tenor. And he did.
    After Red, Michael. After Michael, John Clayton.
    One of my favorite arco sounds: Our own Ray Parker!!

17. Adrian Cho

Adrian Cho Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    The nature of unwound gut is that the arco sound is pretty gritty but the pizz sound is beautiful. However the arco can sound really nice but it takes a very skilled player and you really have to know how to play on those strings. My understanding is that while PC was a great soloist and his note choices were wonderful, his arco technique itself was pretty poor. He articulated virtually every note and hardly slurred anything and articulating unwound gut is the problem especially for faster tempos. I also believe that part of the sound is the close up recording.

As for other arco players - Arni Egilsson and John Goldsby are two present-day guys.

18. Add Richard Davis and George Mraz to the arco list...

19. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    You are absolutely right about George. he has an incredible bowed
    sound. He did two albums on Milestone as a leader. "George Mraz Jazz"
    and "My Foolish Heart". You want arco, you got arco on these CDs'.
    He does two amazing overdubed arco solos on the theme from Cinema
    Paradiso and The Peacocks for the Jazz CD. My Foolish Heard has arco
    on Haunted Heart and Passion Flower. Great solos, great tune choices,
    and great players, Richie Beirach, Billy Hart. Otherwise known as the
    Qwest rhythm section.
    I had another thought on the arco soloing as well. Could be that we
    (me) are trying to compare apples to oranges. Slam Stewart, Major Holly,
    and Paul Chambers played up tempo bowed solos on gut strings, while their contemporaries Michael Moore, John Clayton, and George Mraz play
    mostly ballads on modern strings. Interesting, isn't it.

Ric

20. Pcocobass

Pcocobass

Jun 16, 2005
    New York
    I've seen clips of PC and his technique looks good to me. He has nice wrist movement and doesn't use any extraneous motion. He is very relaxed while he plays (German bow). I don't know that his articulation can be considered either good or bad, but it is what it is. Some guys articulate more than others. Also, IMO no one swings with the bow as hard as PC.