Moses Custom Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tendollarcat, Aug 26, 2005.

1. Has anyone heard of anything like this? I've got one and am loving it. It has a weird pickup configuration - Musicman Bartolini pickup at front and Custom Jazz at the back. It has Schaller tuners and strings thru the body. It's passive and has a seriously deep tone.
    Has anyone ever come across anything like this? It was bought off ebay and advertised as a "Modulus Moses Jazz Bass". I seriously doubt the Modulus tag so I was wondering if anyone has any ideas?
  2. It's red with a white pearloid pickguard, right?

If so, that bass did not always have that Moses neck. In fact, it started out with a maple "jazz" neck that had a "Fender Precision" decal on it. That was removed and the moses jazz neck was put in place. Also, the pickups are (in neck position) a Bartolini MM, and a bridge pickup from a "Signature" Jazz bass.

Before this gets creepier, let me just tell you: I was (I believe) the 2nd owner of the bass. The Bartolini, the neck, and even the swapped out bridge pickup were all done when I had the bass. After selling it on Ebay, I noticed a bunch of people started reselling the thing and billing it as this and that.

I hope you enjoy the bass in any event. I found that it was too heavy and did not have good upper fret access.
  3. It's definitely the same bass! It weighs a ton but I love the throaty tone in the lower regsiter. The upper fret access is made even more complicated by the fact that it appears the neck is now slightly cracked. This is not a big deal as it is beyond the bolts and up around the 20th Fret. I consider it to be my version of an old p-bass sound anyway.
    I'd love to know what tones you set for it. I'm finding it has a real "scooped" sound - great on low end and highs. Why did you go for the musicman pickup? I thinking about taking it in to a luthier and getting a bit of an overhaul done - fixing the neck, a few adjustments here and there. Where did the body come from? Any tips would be appreciated.
    I had to chuckle at the ebay description when I purchased it. Quite bizzarely, I was looking for a bass that had a little bit of Jazz Bass, a little bit of MM and a bit of P-bass. I wanted something a bit unique and didn't have the budget for a custom bass so I'm happy. It now has a home in Oz!
  4. Wow, that sucks that the neck cracked.

Usually, I blended more towards the MM pickup for that really big sound. When I first got the bass, it had already had a no-name MM in the neck position (which sold me on it) so I decided to put in a Bart to make it a bit more versatile.

I have no idea where the body came from, as the original owner told me it was from a Modulus VJ. The Moses graphite neck was installed at my local luthiers in New York a few months after I got the bass. Interestingly enough, that bass was a bass that went with me to Berklee before I decided that it was too much for me.

That's cool that it went all around the U.S. and now down under.