Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Moses Graphite Custom Basses--any info?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JRBrown, Apr 4, 2003.

1. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Does anyone know anything about Moses Graphite and their ability to make a good bass? Here's one that looks good to me:

From Moses:

New Custom Moses Graphite 4-string Bass:
    Moses Graphite 22 position fretless bolt-on J-style neck with Rose Diamondwood fingerboard (Moses will sell with a MJ-144 fretted neck if preferred for the same price)
    Bookmatched Mahogany body
    Inset neck mounting with no backplate
    Gold hardware, including knurled knobs, Bad Ass II bridge, strap security locks, and Schaller M-4 tuners
    Active Bartolini Jazz pickup set; rear routed with Rose Diamondwood cover plate
    Fodera Diamond round-wound strings
    This is a really sweet fretless. It's got all the classic lines. The neck is sleek and fast, full of warmth and sustainful growl. The body is warm and resonant. The hardware adds shimmering class. The pickups are the perfect compliment.
    [​IMG]

2. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    And if I decide to get this, which fretted neck would look best? 1,2, or 3?
    [​IMG]

3. 1

Just enough to let people know it's not a Fender/Fender replacement neck.

Let me know how it goes, I'd love to try one also.

4. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Bah! Go with number 2. One of my basses has number 4 on it and I absolutely LOVE the thing!!!!

5. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    i vote for number 1. And I completely agree with tufnuts. Its just different enough to have a bit more personality. That hooked headstock looks badass, yet classy at the same time. I may replace my ATKs neck with the same one this summer.

6. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I vote 1 too. That's just my immediate gut reaction.

The bass sounds good on paper. I wish I could tell you from experience. I there's a local guy here who has a p-bass w/ fretless Moses neck add-on and it sounds SO sweet. Really rich and amazing.

brad cook

7. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    I'd think about getting the Novax fanned frets.

8. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I have a Lakland JO body with a Moses fretted jazz neck, J-Retro and Bartolini PUs. It is a very sweet bass.

I think enough of it that I have a fretless Moses neck stashed and plan to build a bass using that neck when the mood hits me.

Had to have at least one bass with a Moses neck because my name is

Chuck Moses

9. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Lucky for you they make good stuff!
    :)

brad cook

10. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    I like 2 on a side,so number 3. What is the damage?

11. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Just in from Moses:
    [​IMG]

12. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Another: They said they would change all the hardware out to black for free.
    [​IMG]

13. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    JR!!!

that's one NICE looking J!!!!

and the hardware swap would have been my only suggestion!!!!

black or chrome would look good.

you gettin' it!?!?!?!?

VERY VERY NICE!!!!

f

14. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    JRBrown...Whats the damage?(How much is it going to cost you?).

15. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Slightly less than the sum of all the parts if I were to purchace them seperately. A deciding factor to give this a try.

I got the idea from thelowend.net. They have a nice Devon bass, with Moses neck, that I may have jumped on if it was fretted. Devon Basses said he could make me a bass for around $1.6K plus the distributor's mark-up. I considered making the bass myself but there were several hurdles (e.g. drilling the neck) that I prefer to have done professionally. So when Moses offered this bass complete and agreed to all of my changes for less than the cost of the parts...;). The best thing about this bass is its simplicity and strength. As for the sound--it can't be any worse than if I had built the bass myself.

The Devon bass at www.thelowend.net:
    [​IMG]

16. Bassstud1

Bassstud1 Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2001
    LaPorte Indiana USA
    I hate to keep repeating myself but..... Having recently dealt with Moses I for one can't say enough about the company and how well they stand behind their product.

1.) I bought a neck from MFfor my MM5. (They sent wrong neck)
    2.) I sent it to Steve at Moses to make sure I got the correct neck the second time.
    3.) I received it and broke it trying to install the ferrules. ( Yes.. Don't force things)
    4.) I sent it back to Steve he fixed it like brand new and sent it back to me.

All this after I had bought the neck from MF in the first place. Great company ...Neck bass I will seriously consider looking at their basses.

Good Luck with your decision JR

17. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Bassstud1,
    Thanks, I'll take your word for it. And if anything goes wrong with this purchase, I'm comin' to getcha! :D I just wrote a concerning email to
    the folks at Moses about the bass. It appears that the gold bridge isn't cut right. I informed them that the black bridge needs to cut properly.
    [​IMG]