Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Moses graphite neck + vintage body

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 59jazz, Oct 6, 2004.

1. 59jazz

59jazz Infinite Rider on the Big Dogma Supporting Member

a few years ago I had replica of a 61 P bass made. Alder body, Seymour SPB1 pups, and original type hardware, rosewood slab neck, sounds great. The neck has finally failed (small crack in the headstock is growing) Being that I live in Iowa, where the weather is constantly changing, I would like to find a neck that is durable enough to take on the weather changes and a set of real hi tension flats. I like the Moses necks, but I may have to swap my pups for some Seymour Antiquity P's and perhaps a preamp that boosts the mids. Warmoth necks are tough too, but I don't like their weight and chunky profile. Any ideas as to how I can bullet proof this bass, and somehow retain a semi 60's even early 70's tone? :meh:

TIA, H2

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Just get a properly finished neck made out of a good piece of maple. You may have just gotten a bad piece. I especially like what Fender did with my Jazz Deluxe. The headstock is all gloss, but the back of the neck is matte finished. It is a VERY durable finish, and it looks fantastic. You might also take that neck to a luthier. Often they can use a syringe to put glue in the crack, and then clamp the thing tightly until it dries properly, then repair the finish. That would be worth it if you realy like how the neck feels.

3. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Moses necks aren't light. They may even be heavier than Warmoth necks.