Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Moses graphite neck

Discussion in '[OLD FORUM] Bass Guitars, Amps, and Accessories: F' started by Hurley, Jan 17, 2005.

1. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    :::::AGAIN, THIS IS SOLD:::::

Would anyone be interested in a Moses neck? Just checking, and I'll have more motivation to get pics if there's any interest.

*Licenced by Fender®
    *fits Jazz bass
    *22 fret (20+ 2 fret extension)
    *just the neck, no tuners

This was on my MIA Jazz when I bought it. The neck is in good shape. There's one pinhead-sized chip at the end of the headstock, and a couple minor scratches throughout (none affect feel/playability). The nut is excellent, and the fretwork is great, with a few exceptions noted below.

The bass was buzzing a little when I first played it, so I tried to remedy it. I tried to adjust the relief first, but to no avail. Something wasn't right. :confused: This is the major issue with the neck. These necks have the micro-tilt or micro-adjustment... thingy... which means that there isn't a traditional truss rod. The action was playable, but digging in at all caused some buzzes. I also noticed that the previous owner (dumbass), or a shop, had filed down the 21st fret to try to overcome some buzz. This left the fret somewhat flat, and the buzz is still there. :meh: There is also a tiny, tiny crack on the fingerboard extension, starting at the bottom of the fretwire at the treble side of the 22nd fret.

This is not for someone looking to get a graphite replacement neck to install with no problems. This is for someone who knows what they're doing, who might be able to get this working again. These are not cheap necks, so you could potentially save a bunch.

I don't know what to ask for this. I'm open to ideas.

Feel free to PM me to ask any questions, or just comment in the thread. Like I said up top, if there's some interest, I'll be glad to get some pics.

~Hurley

2. lethargytartare

lethargytartare

Sep 7, 2004
    Chicago
    Would you be interested in replacing it with another neck? I have an Arbor in beautiful shape that I got for a project that I have since decided to abandon. I had just started fillin in the screw holes, but otherwise it's in pristine condition. I've wanted to try a graphite neck, and am up for a challenge...

If it would be of interest, I'd throw in the body I was working on too...an old Hamer cruise body...I'll warn you, though, it's NOT pretty because of my amateurish work...but it's a nice chunk of mahogany, and is usable as a bass body -- but I can give you more details if you're interested...

let me know!

Cheers!

ltt

3. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    Bump.

ltt,
    thanks for the offer, but I'm not looking to start any more projects at the time. I'm just too darn broke. :crying:

~Hurley :bassist:

4. N*Joy

N*Joy

Nov 30, 2002
    Birmingham, UK
    I'd be interested - those do fit a p-bass neck pocket don't they? Don't answer that, I'll google it!

What kind of price would you be looking for?

5. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    I pretty sure the neck pockets are the same. You should probably still Google it. ;)

Oh, damn. I just remembered something. I can say with certainty that the guy who bought it installed it himself. The necks come without drill holes, and include an installation kit with the bolts and little threaded brass(?) inserts to hold the bolts in the neck. While it does fit the standard Fender 4-bolt pattern, the holes are not perfect. I just hought I'd make that clear - again - it does fit, but it's not perfect.

I just want to let buyers know what they could be getting into.

I'm still not able to really put a dollar amount on it. I'm hoping someone here could help with that. I'm pretty apprehensive about selling this because I don't want to rip anyone off if it doesn't work, but I don't want to just give it away. :meh: If I did put a price on it, it would still be fairly cheap. Does anyone have advice? PM me.

6. N*Joy

N*Joy

Nov 30, 2002
    Birmingham, UK
    PM sent, definitely interested in working something out.

7. lethargytartare

lethargytartare

Sep 7, 2004
    Chicago
    yeah, it's gotta be tough to figure out a price for something like that...but they retail for $400, so there's quite a bit of room there for bargaining :D

good luck, man!

ltt

8. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    The neck is sold.

I'd edit the first post, but that's not an option anymore.