Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Moses Graphite Necks?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by berklee46, Dec 18, 2001.

1. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    I think I'm going to buy a Moses replacement neck for my bass. I've got a narrow 5-string and Steve Mosher has been kind enough to make a custom neck for me.
    I'm a big fan of Graphite necks, (I've owned several Status basses), so this looks like a great way to go to get the custom neck I'd need.
    I'd be interested in hearing any comments from others who have used Moses products.
    (Off-list replies are fine)

Thanks,
    Scott
    reb46@rcn.com

2. I've never played on one myself, but I've heard they are a bit heavier than Modulus or Status necks.

3. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I lie the way the Moses stuff feels. I prefer the neck to both Zon, and Modulus necks. I actually talked to Moses about making me a new neck for my Peavey Pallaedium, but I decided to have Curbow do it, instead.

That said, I think you made the right decision to go with Rockwood.

4. idealtracks

idealtracks Supporting Member

Dec 18, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    5 out of 5 stars! I am very satisfied with necks from Moses. Very soon I will have them on 3 basses...

I'm using a fretless Moses on my 1990 StingRay4 and couldn't be happier! I LOVE the feel of this neck, the width, depth, spacing at the nut, etc... I kinda had to wrestle with it to mount it... I wound up getting it on without modifying my bass body but I can't stress enough: this neck had a MUCH tighter fit than the original neck (understatement LOL!) That may have something to do with the incredible sustain and full tone I get from this beast. I have had it for quite awhile and am completely satisfied with it. It reminds me of my 1989 Steinberger neck which is still the best playing neck I've ever touched.

I have placed an order with Steve for a fretted 4 string version several weeks back but am still waiting for it to arrive.

I've also got a fretted Moses neck for my StingRay5... the graphite neck made the biggest change in tone on the 5'er... This bass still sounds (great) like a MusicMan of course! But the jury is still out on whether the tonal change was for better or worse... The most noticeable difference is in frequency response in the upper middle range... (This neck is on a newer Stingray - I did not like the stock unfinished neck at all - it felt cheap/slow and when my hands sweat it felt even slower!)

One more thing I'd like to add: I remember when I ordered my first one I was a little nervous about the process of setting the neck (drilling into the neck for mounting). But I found that if you own a drill and consider yourself a half-way decent handyman, the process of setting the "self-tapping brass threaded inserts" couldn't be much easier. Of course, use extreme caution as the graphite is deceptively easy to drill through once you get started - just like drilling through plastic! Oh yeah - both times, I used a slightly smaller drillbit than Moses recommended (@ 1mm smaller) on the larger of the two bolt sizes it came with, and it worked fine (between my brothers, my dad, and myself I looked through 11 complete sets of bits but didn't have one the exact recommended size - odd/rare??).

Good luck!

5. JohnMark, if you were to use a brad-point bit for drilling insert holes, depth is a lot more controlable. These bits make a relatively flat bottomed hole and that lets the insert seat better. If you're handy with a Dremel, you can even make your own "super brad point" by sharpening the brad point to a near needle. This works great with the harder woods of a neck so I would think it would be perfect for graphite

6. idealtracks

idealtracks Supporting Member

Dec 18, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Thanks for the great tip about the brad point. I'd never heard of those before now but it makes perfect sense - guess I'm not as big of a handyman as I thought!

I may try it when(/if?) my new neck gets here and report back...

7. Has anyone put one of these necks on a Music man Sterling or Stingray?

8. davec629

davec629

Jul 1, 2007
    I've had 2 bass guitars with Moses necks. One was a custom job and the other was a MM 5 string. Great necks! I also had a MM 5 string with a Status graphite neck that was outstanding. Everyday I think "Why did I sell it!". Just an awsome combo.

9. Orph

Orph

May 11, 2009
    Trondheim, Norway.
    I'm considering whether to put a Status or a Moses 35" graphite neck on my a Stingray 5 H that's on it's way (body only). I'm curious to hear if anyone's got any experience with either or both ?

10. davec629

davec629

Jul 1, 2007
    I bought a brand new EBMM Stingray 5 and then ordered a neck from Status and it was one of the best basses I've ever owned. Beautiful neck by Status. I recouped some of my money by selling the original neck. My sound guy nick named the bass "Thor's Hammer" and was always requesting it.

11. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    They are heavy for graphite. Some wood necks are lighter.

You should expect your neck to be a few weeks later than the delivery date you are quoted.

You should expect no responses to any inquiries you make after you have given them your money.

You should expect several little imperfections such as tuning holes not spaced equally or in-line, but nothing so bad that you would reject the product and send it back for a refund.

12. davec629

davec629

Jul 1, 2007
    Is that from Moses or Status?

13. Orph

Orph

May 11, 2009
    Trondheim, Norway.
    How would you describe the tone compared to the stock neck ? The Stingray WILL get a graphite neck, I just can't decide which.

14. davec629

davec629

Jul 1, 2007
    It had a wider tonal spectrum. Even sounding with massive lows. It was almost like replacing dead strings with SS round wounds. Some people like that dead sound so to each his own. I love graphite but hate it on fretless.

15. Orph

Orph

May 11, 2009
    Trondheim, Norway.
    Very helpful ! I've owned a Modulus Q5, so I'm familiar with graphite neck basses, and I'm thinking it would compliment a Stingray quite well. Seems like I'm right about that from what you're saying.

16. Mr.Bassie720

Mr.Bassie720 Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2005
    Washington DC,Silver Spring,MD
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    I have owned both Status and Moses Jazz bass necks. Status fretwork is impeccable. After my Status Jazz bass neck was installed. It was scanned by a Plekk machine. The machine/computer could not make any adjustments.Why? Because the frets were perfect. Perfect Fretwork. My Moses necks needed help in the fret department. Poorly dressed frets. However,once that issue was corrected, they have performed beautifully. I prefer the satin like finish on the Moses. The Status have high gloss finishes that are gorgeous but a bit slick for my taste.

17. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Moses.

18. davec629

davec629

Jul 1, 2007
    Everything I've had from moses has been used so I cant comment on them but Status did a great job all the way around.

19. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Audio Mike Lull Custom Guitars Gallien Krueger amplification Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups
    Interesting thread...

My $.02

I hedged on writing this but let me share what happened to me with Moses.

I was coming back from somewhere (I think a rehersal) in the middle of a hot humid Boston Summer (like high 80s outside). I left 2 basses in my car for a lunch for about 1.5 hr. (Hey these basses are graphite it should be fine).

One a Modulus VJ
    The other a Moses-Fender

I came home took my basses out of the same double gig bag.
    The Modulus was fine, but the Moses twisted so bad that they G string would not even stay on that nut. No exaggeration :scowl: Not even usable at all.

I had my professional luthier friends look at it and they said the neck was toast. These guys
    http://www.mouradianguitar.com/

I first had to go through a 4 or 5 emails back and forth with someone over Moses shop before they would take it back.
    (Not Steven, although He finally returned my call after my last email that stated professionally my experience and my disaffection)

So I sent it back tuners and all on it.

3 weeks later (which is acceptable) I get a new neck with my tuners on it from the older neck...(ok sounds reasonable and nice) However I had the following 2 more issues from there.

1. They had to drop the neck (maybe the carrier did) or something because one of the tuners bent at the post (very visible but still functional)
    2. They never sent me the threaded inserts for the new neck which the old neck had.

Honestly I had a neck from Steven years ago, that appeared fine but I never kept the bass long enough to put it through its paces so I cannot say how that went.

I know one thing...based on my last exsperiance I would never get another neck from Moses...Now maybe that was a fluke neck, but when I never recieved the inserts and the bent tuner I was finished with them. (Take with a grain of salt)

I have owned a ton of graphite instruments and no issues with Stienberger and Modulus.

20. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Audio Mike Lull Custom Guitars Gallien Krueger amplification Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups
    Cool :bassist:

Question: What did you have the MM 5 before that...
    A rosewood board or maple?

I take it you felt it was not to bright.
    I have a SBMM Ray35 that I would like to put a Status neck on sometime. I'm putting a Norstrand in it that should bring out the lows a little bit so I'm guessing that it should be a nice combo.

The following combo is very yummy that I can testify 4 times over in the J bass realm (Modulus graphite-Nordstrand NJs-Audere).