Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Moses graphite necks

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by supermetroid, Jan 26, 2003.

1. In the hope of having a more stable neck, I'm considering replacing the current one on my P-Bass Special with a Moses. Please give me your thoughts, experiences, etc.

2. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    I installed a Moses Graphite 5-string neck on my warmoth Jazz several weeks ago. It really set-up and sounds great. Very good workmanship. I think that you'd really like it but be careful when you communicate the width of the neck slot in the body to Moses. I specified the width of the neck slot as 2-3/4" and what I recieved was a neck with the FINGERBOARD width (FB extends beyond the neck) of 2-3/4". The neck is only 2.66" where the neck ends. There is about a 1/32 - 3-32 gap on each side of the neck (when mounted to the body). Fortunately the neck mounts to the body in a very stable manner (Moses supplies threaded sleeves and machine screws to install the neck). You will need a drill press to perform the installation.

3. How's the warmth of the sound?

4. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I've heard a p-bass with a moses fretless neck before and it sounded absolutely amazing. VERY warm, thick and beautiful tone. It wasn't sterile or thin at all.

Actually if you want to hear a sound clip of p-bass w/ moses neck through a miced ampeg rig then you can hear it briefly in the context of a song at this link:

http://www.grassrootsmusic.com/artist/chaffer/chaffer2

Click on the song called "O Virginia." I wish you could hear the whole song there because there's one little break in the song where you just hear the sound of the bass itself and it sounds so amazing.

Anyway...that's all I have to offer.

brad cook

5. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    The sound is much warmer. It's a little hard to compare the before/after since the bass had a fretless neck on it prior to the Moses but It's uniquely different than my other wood neck basses. Very fat sounding. The "B" string sounds exremely well for a 34" scale bass.

6. I've heard that graphite necks tend to take on the temperature of their surroundings more quickly than their wood counterparts, so that if you were to play outdoors on a cold day, the neck would soon feel as cold as the air around it. Is this true or merely a myth?

7. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    Wouldn't any neck do that? A graphite neck will be more stable than a wood neck in temperature and humidity changes though.

8. monkfill

monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City
    Just about any material will eventually take on the temperature of its surroundings, but some materials do it more quickly.

Definitely more stable though.

9. I revised my previous statement to say what I meant to say