Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Moses graphite P & J necks

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by sobie18, Jul 6, 2002.

1. How are these Moses graphite necks? I'm thinking of snagging one for my Jazz bass. Looks like they will need a nut cut to fit (not a problem) and I was just curious if anyone has used these necks and what are your opinions on these...All help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
    Mark

2. I think they run in the $200 range. I don't have exp. with them, but I'd like to get one.

3. jvtwin

jvtwin What it needs is a little more cowbell

Jan 26, 2001
    LA Calif.
    Hey Sobie18 - I too want to use the Moses neck for a custom jazz project. I did get to play a Moses bass at winter NAMM this year and was quite impress with the feel and action of the bass.

From what I'm told, their (necks) industructable, imperveous to weather conditons, and maintain their shape. No warping or checking. It was quite comfortable in my hand, and seemed very fast. Real bright and punchy tone all through the register.

The guy I talked to (cannot remember his name) even showed me a new fret board design to look just like eboney colored wood (simulated, of course) He said they even have a slightly textured neck to as not to feel too "plastic". Cool stuff, no doubt.

I too would like to hear from anyone who's ever owned / played one. Hate it or love it - let us know.

4. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    They're very good. Extremely stable, and play wonderfully! The Jazz neck felt similar to the Geddy bass to me - much more playable than my MIA jazz, believe it or not.

5. jvtwin

jvtwin What it needs is a little more cowbell

Jan 26, 2001
    LA Calif.
    No, I'd believe that. I'm not too fond of newer MIA jazz basses four or five string. If I bought a jazz today, I'd probably get a MIM over the MIA. But this is why I decided to have one custom built. If I'm gonna spend the money, I don't want it to play like crap! I'll keep ya posted on the progress on this project. I talk to my luthier this Sun. and start getting designs figure out. This one promises to be very interesting.:D

6. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i have a moses neck on my musicman, it's awesome. super thin and great playability.

the cheapest i've seen them is at musicians friend. they just got 'em in stock.

7. Cool, thanks for your help. I will order one when I'm home in NY...9 more days................

8. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    Have anyone tried a fretless Moses neck? Also, can you get a deep, warm tone from a graphite neck?

9. Pharmecopia

Pharmecopia

Jul 31, 2002
    theyre pretty cool, i like them.

10. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Soon, soon. It's here but not yet mounted.

11. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    I have played several moses fretless necks and several basses with Moses necks Ambush,Conklin,ect.and have to say you have nothing to lose if you give it a try.