Moses Graphite replacement necks for Fender Jazz: Any testimonials?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stewbone, Sep 5, 2002.

1. I've got a '99 Fender Jazz Bass, and am considering a neck transplant. I'd like something fast and slim, but still substantial, like the 2000 Jazz's. Looking at Moses, even though it's not wood! Any ideas?

2. extreme

Mar 20, 2000
    The Moses necks rock! They feel very substantial and play fast.
  3. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I've had an Moses unlined fretless on my AmStd Jazz for about a month now. A very fast neck, and I love the feel! Tuning stability has improved, although some of that can probably be attributed to the new Hipshot UltraLites. I'd do it again! Try Black Rose Customs for a decent deal on these - John's good people.
  4. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    they're very very very nice.

(wink wink see my sig)
  5. My Jazz neck is STILL on back-order....:(

Hopefully soon....
  6. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    How about on an MM SR5?
  7. I had a so-so experience, but from what I've read around the 'net, I'm in the minority.

I ordered an unlined fretless neck for my P bass (w/o the diamondwood). I had a local guy install it and he did a poor job. The set up was not even. Some notes had the right string height, others were too low. I think if I had someone else cut the nut instead of my local yokel, I would've had a more pleasing experience.

I sent the bass to Moses AND to another local repair guy. Steve Mosher was good enough to look at it at no charge. My only beef was, why didn't he (or anyone else) really identify what the problem was?

I traded the bass in to get a Zon fretless. End of story (with a happy ending).
  8. Well, thanks everybody for the response. I'm going to take it that the Moses Graphite Experience is essentially a positive one, the critical point being installation? Smokin', I'm feeling in the right direction.
    Now, let's talk about sound...?

9. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    I played a bass that was put together in a shop in Tokyo. It had a Moses neck on it with a couple Aero MM style pups in it. Great bass I must say. The Moses neck was fast and has pretty much the same profile as a j or p (depending on which one you get). It also seemed a little warmer and not as sterile as Modulus basses.
  10. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I'm gonna get laughed at for saying this, but my first impression was that it was *warmer* than my stock rosewood fretted neck. No dead spots, lots of sustain. I have it on my ash bodied Jazz with DiMarzio DP123s. Sucky pic: