1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Moses Graphite...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Count Bassie, Jun 22, 2020.

1. Relsom

Relsom Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2013
    The Old Dominion
    I had that same bass, if it's the one I'm thinking of. Flame maple carved top Tribute? Looked cool, but the weight and sharp no contour body edges ruined it for me. It sounded fantastic and the Moses fretless was a dream. Very slim and fast. The sound was very articulate in a good way and really cut through the mix. I recall the attack was quick and bright, without being grating or raspy. Played like a fretless, sounded like a fretted if that makes any sense to you.

Count Bassie and StyleOverShow like this.
  2. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    I have an '81 G&L L2k Mahogany that came with a later neck that needed too much work. Moses was the only company with G&L replacements. I got one, Jazz width. Though it was a bit of a bear getting it mounted - thankful for my great tech that made it happen.

I really like the neck. Great profile, excellent fretwork. Easily adjusted when needed. I put a set of GHS Precision flats on and it really tightens up the sound. I am very happy with it.

Count Bassie likes this.
  3. sonojono

sonojono Supporting Member

Not to derail this thread but I prefer status graphite necks over Moses.

Chrome Dome and Dark Horse like this.
  4. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    I cant imagine it being worse.
    Status are more expensive and ship from the UK.

5. ugly_bassplayer

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    Not making necks anymore......gee. I wonder why????

I’m still beyond peeved at them. IMO they owe me some $$ for screwing so bad.
    He even stopped answering my emails when my neck was over there for over 3 months waiting to get fixed.
    %^&*^%$%^&^%$#%^&^%$#@$%^
    If I was in the same country I would have sought legal action it was so bad. I had to mod the neck pocket of my stingray for that thing......

Sold the stingray with the Moses neck......full disclosure to buyer when selling.
    Kept the stingray neck and bolted it to a warmoth body. That bass is a tank.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
    Count Bassie likes this.
  6. sonojono

sonojono Supporting Member

Quite the opposite for me, I paid $500 U.S. dollars for mine from their site. Way cheaper than Moses neck that are close to $1k.

ugly_bassplayer likes this.
  7. Cuzzie

Cuzzie Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2016
    Just go Status

sonojono and Chrome Dome like this.
  8. Eddie LeBlanc

Eddie LeBlanc

Oct 26, 2014
    Beaumont, Texas
    None
    There is another current thread about Moses neck problem. And heat causing the warping of the neck and headstock.

That OP finally got in touch with Moses that would try and heat it and straighten it for $125. So just saying that has become an issue for sure.

9. Eddie LeBlanc

Eddie LeBlanc

Oct 26, 2014
    Beaumont, Texas
    None
    Count Bassie likes this.
  10. Alivefor5

Alivefor5 Supporting Member

Jul 17, 2006
    Indiana
    Had one relatively recently. Big issues with the screw-in bolt inserts. Finally drilled lots of tiny holes around each one and filled with epoxy to get them stable. Sharp fret ends, badly needed fret level from poor fret installation. Truss rod took a hundred adjustments to get to the right place. Finally got the mechanical issues straightened out and it just sounded only ok. Traded it off. No wonder he's out of the neck business. I hope he has better luck with his speaker line.

Count Bassie likes this.
  11. ugly_bassplayer

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    Confirms that they made crap.
    Never seen that even on a 20$ wood neck.

12. Eddie LeBlanc

Eddie LeBlanc

Oct 26, 2014
    Beaumont, Texas
    None
    I wouldn't say, crap......
    A lot of graphite builders never expected issue of heat warping things. Most folks with quality instruments never put them through extreme circumstances.

BTW I don't put my Maple Neck Thru basses into those extreme conditions either. To me just itching to create an unnecessary problem with a great instrument. After all, Fret Sprout is an issue too on a wood neck that has been treated poorly. Just saying.

Count Bassie likes this.
  13. ugly_bassplayer

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    Fret sprouts in a natural occurrence. Simple physics.
    Wood doesn’t shrink or expand to humidity changes like wood. It’s a very easy fix.

A neck bending like a boomerang should be replaced.

IMO, IME....YMMV.....etc....

Anyways.....
    I’m out.

\

14. Thumpin6string

Thumpin6string Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2013
    Shoals Indiana
    As others have stated, Moses seemed to have QC issues for awhile. I had them make a custom neck for my 6 string around 1999 and love it. They do have certain characteristics which some like and some don't. The biggest is the sustain when you hit a note. It will ring for days. I like everything about mine.
    IMG_3408 (2).JPG

Count Bassie likes this.
  15. red_rhino

red_rhino Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TB.

The bass in my avatar has a Moses neck. (Also Sadowsky pickups and an East preamp.)

Right? Like seriously, sustain for days. (I sold it years ago, but I think the last note I played on it is still ringing. ;)) No dead spots either.

But it was heavy and so neck dive was a problem. The profile was thin and very easy to play. Almost too easy; I likened it to "running on ice". Never got the best slap tone from it though; acceptable, but not great.

Count Bassie likes this.
  16. Count Bassie

Count Bassie Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    Thanks all for sharing stories, advice, and good mojo. I'm going to see how this fares... I shall remain hopeful!

JIO likes this.
  17. Low8

Low8 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Moses necks certainly weren't that expensive when I bought mine around '96-'97. It was actually the cheapest graphite replacement neck I could find... waaaaaaay cheaper than the Modulus Bassstars. And I could have it in a few weeks vs. waiting many moons to get one from Modulus. Those reasons are probably why many players opted for the Moses.

Status makes great stuff... but be prepared to pay handsomely.

sonojono and Count Bassie like this.
  18. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    I was put on the spot because I got this '81 L2K Hog with a twisted later neck. I really wanted to make this bass work (after some years in the closet). No replacements made for G&L by anyone except Moses. Luck out on Reverb or Ebay for a parts deal....or go. I read all the literature available here, and still found a lot of people were very satisfied. Besides my choices were limited.
    (Here's an aside - if Status made a replacement for early G&L, because they changed the truss rod arrangement later - that's the way to go. Status makes the best composite necks hands down).

So I went with it. Quoted 3 weeks. A week later I get a box from Moses, and I do the Dance of Joy. Open up a box with 2 Strat necks inside. Hmmmmm....
    Email...oh no... postage immediately sent, I drop them off, we're rolling. Next week, another box...bass neck. Yay!!! but it had a Music Man headstock!! Wouldn't work on my bass.
    Email...oh no...postage immediately sent, and we're rolling.....

Finally got the right neck. Instructions said provisions were specifically made for early G&L's truss rod location. Needless to say, ultimately it was the skill of my tech that finally got it mounted (I can never take it off), but having said that, the bass is totally badass for me. Nice slim profile, notes are very focused, easily responds to truss if needed, frets were great. I can't complain. I currently have GHS Precision flats on here and they sound wonderful.

Clearly there were intermittent issues with his QC, but I got one of the good ones.
    L2K-MosesNk-FULL.jpg

Count Bassie likes this.
  19. Count Bassie

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    Nice, gotta love a happy ending! I'm still on the fence, need time to give it a setup and play it, it's a tad buzzy and the neck has no bow at all. I'll be back with a review....

Hog and graphite... I bet that bass sounds killer.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
  20. Count Bassie

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    I got a setup for my OLP 5-string, MM copy- and its it's a sweet player now! Still have to plug it in, probably today at some point. The Mojotone 2-band clone pre will come along, but until then ther bass feels great.