Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Moses is making my life difficult.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Benjamin Strange, Jun 1, 2004.

1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I've got two Steinberger XMs, and I want a fretless neck for one of them. I contact Moses, to find out how close their Steinberger replacement neck is to the original profile. Well, their's is slimmer than the original Steinbergers, which I am not too cool with as I am very particular about my necks and like the shape of the thicker Steinbergers, thank you very much.

So now I am in a quandry: suck it up and just deal with a skinnier neck? Yank the frets out of my existing neck? I really HATE skinny necks, and the Steinbergers are perfect for my hands, despite Moses' assurance that "it's a very comfortable neck" (which has never been a good way to describe a neck, BTW). Keep in mind that a slimmer neck plus not having frets will make it feel even skinnier. I don't want to deal with that. I don't want to take the frets out of my original Steinberger either - graphite chips easily, plus it will leave lines that I don't want either. Not to mention that the original Steinberger necks can be valuable, and I was going to sell the original to put the Moses on.

Moses says they can't custom make one like my old one; they can't change the mold. Does anybody else out there offer replacement graphite necks that might be willing to make one for me just like my old one? This could really suck if my master plan is ruined over a 1/4-1/2 of an inch.

2. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    +1

3. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    Seriously though, I'd wait it out. If that neck it perfect, then leave it how it is. I've never heard the end result of de-fretting a graphite neck, but given the properties of the material, if you screw up, you're SOL. If the Moses neck didn't work out, you could always get rid of it. Hell, you might even like it. The Moses could become your perfect neck and you may not want to go back, etc. You'll figure something out to your liking. Just be patient.

4. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Have you tried contacting Modulus. Status and Zon? They might be more flexible than Moses? Maybe Joe Zon could remove the frets for you.

What about Jeans Ritter - a few of his basses have had composite necks, perhaps he has some contacts that you could use?

5. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I'd say get the Moses neck. If it doesn't work out, sell it and figure something else out.

I've been planning on buying a fretless Moses Steinberger neck to make a bass with, anyway--so, if you don't like it you can always sell it to me down the road! ;)

6. Woodboy

Woodboy

Jun 9, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    Thin necks suck. There is no other way to put it. There was a trend in classical guitars a decade ago of making the necks thin, like an electric. Guess what? Wrist problems with guitarists became common. The trend is now back to meaty necks. I have seen more than one guitarist's problems with wrist tendonitis vanish once he went back to a thicker neck. If I were in your boat, I'd search high and low before I went with a thin neck.

7. can't moses make you a special custom thick neck? i wouldn't buy anything right away if it's not exactly what I want. i'm sure there's gotta be someone who could do a custom job like that.

Charlie

8. A one off would still take a custom mold, to know this would be to know the process and extremes involved in making a graphite neck. It could either be too cost prohibitive for them, or too cost prohibitive for you.

Check around and see if anyone else is more flexible (no pun intended)

So in closing, Moses isn't making life hard, you are by being picky. v:O)

9. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    funny thing about opinions...

f

10. Schtickbass

Schtickbass

Jun 1, 2004
    The real deal is that molds are expensive. They run anywhere from $3000 to $7000 to make. In order to satisfy you, Moses would have to have enough interest to justify having another mold made.

11. odie

odie Supporting Member

How bad could it be??? They specialize in making necks. I would trust their expert opinion. If I cant live with it then sell it. That my motto.

12. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    :p Thin necks suck unless you like thin necks.

I have a neck on my upright thats feels like holding a baseball bat. Thats where I get achy hands and wrists...

13. If they are that sure that you will like it, ask them if you can send it back after feeling it.....

14. JOME77

JOME77

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    I'm afraid he's correct. No manufacturer could afford to make a mold for one neck. They would have to sell 50 necks just to get their investment back on the mold.
    If you don't mind lines on the FB I'm sure that there are many luthiers out their that could convert your fretted bass to a lined fretless. They could also fill the fret slots with black composite so it would be invisible from a distance. That would be much cheaper than a new neck.

15. gyancey

gyancey

Mar 25, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I seriously doubt there will be a 1/4-1/2 difference. Your current neck is less than 1" thick. Its not going to be 25-50% thinner. Did they quote you a measurement?

16. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Umm, no. My neck is almost 1" deep at the first fret (.95"). Their is .75". That's pretty significant to me.

17. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Thin necks may suck to you, but I can't play thick neck P basses or Warwicks. They make my wrist hurt.

On the other hand, I can play 5 and 6 string basses for hours, even with very wide necks, as long as they have a thin profile.

18. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    :spit:

19. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Basslab makes custom one-off composite basses. Maybe you could hit up Heiko for a custom neck?

20. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    Agreed... I can plan 5-7's all day long and not feel it but as soon as I play a beefy 4 my wrist starts to hurt. My carvin's are really thin and the Fury's are just a bit thicker. Thin necks fit my gorgeous hands just fine.