Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Moses & MF Part II

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hambone, May 5, 2005.

1. Got the new Moses neck in from Musicians Friend today. This is the warranty replacement for the previous neck that was damaged in shipping last week. If you recall, the fretboard extension had broken off in the box. MF gladly accepted the return and promptly shipped out another one...

...only they did not ship it out in the original Moses double boxes. It came in the regular smaller inner box with both of the ends open enough to see that there wasn't any packing the box. And sure enough, the extension was snapped off just like the first one! This, after I implored Customer Service to make sure to pack the ends properly and they made a note on the order. :rolleyes:

So now my opinion has been altered somewhat. I can't fault Moses yet because I haven't played the neck on an instrument. That will have to wait. But I am damn sure going to fault Musicians Friend for this debacle. After knowing of the problem, having other necks returned for the same problem, being asked to prevent the problem - for them to blithely ship another neck in this condition is just plain ignorant.

MF hasn't heard the last of me yet.

:mad:

2. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Go get 'em Hambone! :mad:

That's actually pretty ridiculous. I would pressure the customer service department to give you an additional discount on your order. Not only did you order from them and have to send the item back, due to their negligence, but you've had to do it a second time. The down-time on your project is solely their fault and you should not have to pay for that, in fact (IMO) they should compensate you for your time lost by offering a discount.

just my two pennies. Good luck my friend!

3. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    While I agree in theory, I doubt very seriously that MF will offer any further discount on a closeout piece of merchandise. It was already at liquidation prices, anyway.

That sucks, Hammy.

4. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    :mad: wow.

I hope they don't run out and continue shipping the same neck! You should put a tiny sticker on it or something.

Marshall

5. I already did! ;)

My wife called me at work with this news so I haven't seen the neck first hand yet. When I get home I will look for my tiny, imperceptible mark. But if it's the old neck I'll know it right off because of the MANDOLIN FRETS!!

Hey Mods, this probably would be better down in Misc. - put it there if you need to. I only posted here to follow up on the first round.

6. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I actually thought of that after I posted, but I still think it might be worth a few minutes on the phone.

7. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    hehehe, dude MF doesnt really stands for musicians friend.

8. Yeah, a better title for the thread would be "MF'n Moses" :D

9. Just saw the neck. It's not my original one. This has the right size frets. The extension is wildly broken on this one. The other just snapped at the 23rd fret slot - this one broke between frets 23 and 24 with a shard coming loose and it cracking across the remaining marker dot. It's repairable but I don't know what I'm going to do yet. MF said they would take it back and give me another but that they would have to get one from Moses. I said that would be OK if it would drop ship from Moses directly to me. MF said no, it would have to come to them first. I didn't just tell the rep no, I told him HELL NO! I asked him the simple question - If you can't get something this fundamentally simple correct in 2 tries, why would I let you attempt it again? To which there was no reply.

I think I'll open with some well targeted emails and see what develops.

10. BassikLee

BassikLee Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    Hambone and anyone else reading,

My first neck was busted, they sent a call tag. I haven't shipped it back, as I am waiting to see what developes with your situation. Mine is busted right at the 22nd fret, so it can easily be either glued back together or "gently shaped" so that the end of the FB is right at the end of the neck. I don't tend to play that high anyway....

Watching, reading, waiting....

11. Update...

Just as I had posted the update MF responded to my emails. I'm not sure who I've got but he's vowed to get to the bottom of the issue. MF is not longer a Moses dealer (hmmm, wonder why?) but they are going to try paving the way with Moses to get a new neck directly from them.

More to come...

12. They shipped me two cabinets last year and the grill will dented in on one and almost all of the corners were cracked on both. I called MF and got the RA# and asked them to pack it better stating that they should know how fedex and UPS can be regarding their shipping practices. I specificaly asked them to beef up the corners with more cardboard and the front as well. The customer service rep said that they would do that so I thought it was fine. Same as you, the replacements showed up in the same condition. I was able to salvage enough corners and move the grill around to straighten out the issues and will never order anything breakable again I.E. large items and things of that nature.

13. Thursday I was in touch with Eric Breeze of MF and he readily agreed that something was amiss about this situation. I think they sent out someone's old warranty return because the box was full of newspapers from Colorado but the MF warehouse is in Missouri. Anyway, one of his suggested approaches was for me to contact Moses while he did the same concurrently. Last night Moses returned my email with a very nice reply and they have generously agreed to have me ship the neck to them for replacement :hyper: I'm still not sure how MF and Moses have worked out their relationship over this item but that's none of my business now. I'll be shipping this to Moses themselves for a looksee.

I wanted to make sure that I got this news out there. MF AND Moses have both responded quickly and positively in just the way they should have. Now if the follow through is as good, I'll be completely satisfied.

14. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    If follow through is good you'll be satisfied BUT 6 weeks behind on your project.

15. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Musician's Friend is horrible at packaging. I will NEVER order something breakable/valuable from them. Only strings, cables, etc.