Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

moses neck in a jazz bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mangle, Aug 4, 2002.

1. mangle

mangle

Dec 17, 2001
    Guayaquil, ECUADOR
    a friend of mine told me the principal weakness of MIM fenders is the neck...cold be a good idea getting a MIM jazz and replacing the neck for a graphite one? some comments? thank u all

2. Jazz Bass necks, before the graphite reinforced models introduced in the 90's, were prone to twisting. A graphite or graphite reinforced neck is not a bad idea at all.

3. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I'll let you know shortly - my Moses unlined fretless neck should be here Monday or Tuesday. I'm hoping I can reuse the tuners from my original neck - if so, I should have it mounted in a week or so.

4. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    First impression: wow! I have it temporarily clamped in place right now while I wait for the tuners, and my (air bass) conclusion is that this is one fast neck! I can't wait to get it mounted and strung up. If it sounds half as good as it feels, it's a bargain!

5. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    A friend of mine has a Fender Jazz with a Moses neck. I like his so much that I'm having one built and he has since had another one put together using a MIM Fender.

The Moses necks play and sound great. The only downside is that they are fairly heavy. I'm having Hipshot Ultralight tuners installed on mine to help reduce the neck dive.

Chuck

6. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    As am I - well, I'm installing them. It was too heavy with the factory tuners.

7. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Update:

I installed the neck when I got home. It took about 45 minutes, and that's only because I couldn't mark all four holes at one time due to the size of my clamp. You have to spot four holes, drill them to a specific depth (I went 1/16" shallow to avoid problems), and screw in threaded inserts using a jamnut.

Very, very cool! It's lighter than my stock MIA neck with the factory tuners ( I have pennies taped to the headstock of the Moses equal to the weight of the UltraLites). It’s a super-fast slim neck if I've ever seen one! The Jazz hangs great - it's a natural ash body, so it was a little on the heavy side to start. The balance is much improved.

I can hardly wait until my tuners get here (next week, I hope) so I can finish the project. I'm dying to hear what it sounds like! At least this way the pickguard will have a week to dry hard - I'm painting the scratched-up original black with wrinkle paint for an industrial look.

One interesting thing is the size of the fretboard overhang. The heel end of the fretboard extends about 1 1/4" beyond the heel of the neck. There's plenty of clearance for a pickguard, though.

Cool beans, as they say!

8. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    The tuners came in today, so I installed them and did a quickie nut cut (I'll need to fine-tune it later). Wow! This is a great sounding, fast neck. It sounds, well - darker? - than before, I think. I like it!

9. How's the punchiness? Warmth? The highs? The lows? The mids? Etc...

10. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Definitely warmer, clean clear mids and highs, but warmer nonetheless. Almost a P bass thump, oddly enough.

Then again, I suck at describing sound with words...

11. turkish

turkish Guest

Jul 14, 2002
    FCCAUSA, or here
    post some pics heavyduty, it sounds like a good lookin bass so far...:D :D

12. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i think pacman's got a jazz equipped with a moses neck.

13. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Let me go find the digital camera...

14. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    OK, it's a really sucky picture, and it's taken in our "junk room", but here goes:

[​IMG]

I found a black WD pickguard today at a local store, so I'm not going to paint one of my old ones afterall. The nut is half finished, and it should be fully playable later today.

15. Hmm... I think I may have to invest in one of those...

16. Listen

Listen

May 19, 2002
    Very nice heavy duty! You say you live near Elgin? When do I get to play it?;)

17. Pharmecopia

Pharmecopia

Jul 31, 2002
    hmm, does moses have a site? i want like a fretless lined neck, any idea on the cost? also, how do you install these? and could i take it somewhere to get it installed, im kinda a dummy at these things :rolleyes: :confused: :eek:

18. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Easy! You got $20? ;)

19. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Moses Graphite

A great place to get Moses necks is though John at Black Rose Custom. His prices are very good, and his service is great! The Moses necks are on the "Allparts" page of his site.

Installation is very easy. You clamp the neck in place, mark the neck screw locations, and drill four pilot holes. Then you screw in four self-tapping threaded inserts into the pilot holes and attach the neck. All that's left is to install tuners and cut a nut, and you're done!

I spent a total of about three hours on the install, and that included a lot of fiddling around with the nut. If you're worried about it, I can't imagine having one installed would cost too much. For that matter, Moses will do installs, too - but then you're talking shipping costs.