1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mosrite Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rich Creed, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Rich Creed

Rich Creed

Feb 23, 2013
    Hello everyone at Talk Bass.com. Im wanting to buy a Mosrite Bass from a friend but we can't determine what year it was made other than being in the 70s. There is a lot of info on line for pre 1970, but not a whole lot after. The serial # is B0308X. Can anyone tell me when this bass was made? Thank you for your help.

2. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    More info and even pics would help. B0107 was '72, B0152 was '73. Not sure abut the X. Tuners, what's written on the headstock, number of pickups etc. help in determining. I have a signature model that's number is 5986, putting it in 1965. The Ventures signature issue ended about 1966. Moseley continued making a Venture style bass, but no longer a signature model, through about '72-'73. :cool:

3. Rich Creed

Rich Creed

Feb 23, 2013
    Thanks for your reply. It looks exactly like this bass that was listed in The Official Mosrite Bass Club section back in 2009. It does not have the ventures logo on it. Im also thinking its 72 or 73.
    There is one main difference between the picture above and mine, is that the headstock has the sunburst finish on it , not maple finish !!!

Attached Files:

4. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Do a search. There are a number of threads & perhaps some info there.

5. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    I formerly owned a '72 sunburst. The head was black on the front and back, but the neck was sunburst. If you had possession, you should be able to check the pot dates for a little more accuracy. I don't remember if the necks are dated on the heel like Fender etc. Those are all great basses, IMO. :cool:

6. GreaserMatt

GreaserMatt

Sep 4, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    One of my dream basses...

7. Rich Creed

Rich Creed

Feb 23, 2013
    Ill check the pots. Thanks for the info.

8. Rich Creed

Rich Creed

Feb 23, 2013
    Not sure what the x means in the serial #. Might mean its a second, I'm guessing.

Attached Files:

9. Rich Creed

Rich Creed

Feb 23, 2013
    Can't tell if its been rewired?

Attached Files:

10. Serial number dating for Mosrites is pretty unreliable. The more I learn about the company the more I realize how badly it was run and how much variation there was in the products. Don't get me wrong, I may be buried with my 65 Ventures bass but it seems that Semie Moseley was a builder not a businessman.

There may be dates at the end of the neck and in the neck pocket that would help you. I have dates stamped on both the neck and body of my 65.

You could check on mosriteforum.com for more info also. There are a few very knowledgeable folks on there.

Rick B.