Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mosrite is still building?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Mar 11, 2006.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

2. jake_tim

jake_tim

Jun 28, 2005
    North Carolina
    thats awsome.

-jake

3. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I recorded a couple songs in the late 60s using a Mosrite bass. It was the same bass that Bill Wyman used on their first US recorded album. He left it with our producer along with some amps (including a Vox AC15) used on those sessions.

It recorded quite nicely. It had flatwounds and I used a pick, The shorter scale took a few minutes to get used to.

Quality wise, it was OK, but no better than the Fenders of that time. It wasn't the most comfortable instrument to play with the strange body shape. Unfortunately, that bass got stolen a few months later along with the Vox amp.

4. Looks cool, I've always liked the headstock/body shape on those. I knew of them from when I used to be big on the Ramones, and when I saw a tribute band I wondered how the guy got a Mosrite to play.

And strangely..this morning, out of nowhere, I suddenly wondered if Mosrite was still making guitars, and whether or not the made basses. I considered making a thread asking, but wasn't near a computer. Weird.

5. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

It appears that there's a good reason that Ed is the only one who seems to be selling these...if you read the bit at the bottom, it appears that he's the one makin' the 'official' Mosrites now. It doesn't appear to be a company anymore, just a brand name.

6. MAJOR METAL

7. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin' Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    "Mosrite" was Semi Mosely, who died a number of years ago. Anyone building "Mosrites" these days is not the original. QED.

8. MAJOR METAL

Any mosrite fans out there ?

9. I really dig the look of mosrite's, of course growing up a huge Ramones fan helps:). I've played a couple and they just don't feel right in my hands though.

10. MAJOR METAL

Yeah those necks can be very narrow and small.