Mosrite on eBay

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tom Neves, Sep 23, 2000.

1. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Can be that bass any good??

"Maybe for a table"

2. There is no way, in this world, that I would pay $1100 dollars for a second rate bass that, when it was new (mid/late 60's) probably cost less than $125. They were poor copies then and they are even worse copies now.

I realize that this is a re-issue, but re-issued crap is still crap. I guess the next thing will be to put out new Teisco's for $1500 - give me a break. This vintage/collectible scene is getting way out of whack!
  3. DW

Jun 22, 2000
    Hambone, these were relatively expensive in the mid-60s -- more expensive than Fenders -- and were not copies of anything (which should be evident from the photo). But they never sounded good to me.

This is a Japanese reissue, and surf music and the Venures (who used Mosrites for a time) are still big in Japan. Maybe that explains it. I can't imagine there would be much interest in the US.
  4. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    The popular inexpensive copies of Mosrite basses...were made by Univox....and can be had for less than $200.
    There were a lot of people "way back then" who prefered a Mosrite over a Fender...Until The Ventures signed a deal with Fender. There are those, who have always just wanted...whatever the bands were playing....:D
  5. this bass looks kinda stupid to me... one pickup and it´s right up to the neck!... and $1100!! :eek: no way dude!

btw: noone bidded?? hmmm.. I wonder why.. :D
  6. Gentlemen, all I know is that in 1975 I could have had any number of these basses as used instruments for about $75-$100 and the shops couldn't give'em away.
  7. The Bass,
    If you check out their website they have a two pickup model.
    I was just trying to see if any of you have tried it out yet!
    I didn't mean to stir up any trouble.
    I think it looks cool!!! It might be fun to play.
    And after all the Japanese guitars are nothing to look down at.
    I do agree with hambone.....It's a re-issue, and a pricey one at that!
    Anyway.....I'm saving for a Lakland !
  8. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    In 1975...there were a LOT of basses we could have had for that amount. And today they are worth 10 times as much, or MORE. :rolleyes: