1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mosrite Ventures

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jakeox, Mar 18, 2008.

1. jakeox

jakeox

Feb 15, 2007
    Chicago
    I just scored a Mosrite Ventures bass ('65) ... anyone here play one of these? You don't see too many of them around. I think I got a good price, too.

I am so old school.

2. I'd say you're bordering on obscure. :cool:

3. Cool! Does it have the vibrato tailpiece?

4. jakeox

jakeox

Feb 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Nope -- did those come on the basses too?

5. jakeox

jakeox

Feb 15, 2007
    Chicago
    I know! That's why I'm trying to find out more about these. I love the shape, and the necks are supposed to be great.

6. Yep, one of the Ventures albums has several Mosrites on the cover, one of which is a bass with a vibrato tailpiece (heard on their version of "Hanky Panky).

7. X Wolf

X Wolf Guest

I had 2 Mosrite basses back in '67 which were custom orders taken by Semie Moseley when the company was in Bakersfield, CA. They were both "Candy Blue" and one was a semi-hollow body while the other was a solid body. The guitar player I was working with at the time ordered a 6/12 doubleneck at the same time. The basses were nice but I found them to be not what I prefer tone and feel wise. Of course that is a subjective call. The guitar player gave up on the 6/12 after a few months of playing due to its' excessive weight. I did enjoy playing those basses for a while and then moved on.

George

8. You're not old school, you're classic - and I'm envious. Those Mosrites are very nice, very desirable basses.

PICTURES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. Marcury

Marcury High and Low

Aug 19, 2007
    Mid Hudson Valley, NY
    Years ago when I was in high school I played with a guy who had a Mosrite guitar. It was pretty cool for the day. I never played one of their basses though. Univox had a whole line of Mosrite knock-offs back then too.

10. jakeox

jakeox

Feb 15, 2007
    Chicago
  11. pjmuck

pjmuck

Feb 8, 2006
    New Joisey
  12. Marcury

Marcury High and Low

Aug 19, 2007
    Mid Hudson Valley, NY
  13. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Very Cool , all the best with it. I really enjoy the hollowbody variety. :bassist:

14. Chuck King

Chuck King Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2006
    Chicago
    I just picked up an interesting Mosrite-related bass: an Acoustic Black Widow. These were sold by the Acoustic Control Corporation, best known for their amplifiers. They were made for Acoustic by several different companies over their short run in the early 70s, but for part of that time they were built by Semie Mosley. The bass I got is one of the Mosley models, based on certain characteristics; see here.

I don't know enough about actual Mosrite basses to know how this one compares as far as features go, but it's a pretty cool instrument. It has a great "thump" tone---it's crying out for flatwounds.

2345035029_34bafb7c30.

2345883322_3d8106ccf5.

15. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I have always coveted a Ventures bass just because of the looks, but wasn't willing to shell out without a chance to play it first, as I've hosed myself in the past by buying just based on looks. But just a week ago I got a chance to play an original '67 Mosrite, and it sounded and felt great! The neck was comfy, the balance was surprisingly good (the upper strap peg is not far from the 12th fret), and the tone- it is weird, it is unique, but if you like "unique" the way I do, it's a great sound! I would totally play it as a "signature" bass voice. I would have bought it except it was a refin with the logo missing, and they were asking a high price.

So yeah, I'm going to buy one as soon as I find one in "the right condition" at "the right price". ;)

16. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    My first bass was a Mosrite. I didn't care for the sound too much...the pickups would feedback microphonically through my tuck & roll kustom. Nice bass otherwise, though.

17. funkytoe

funkytoe Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Northern California
    I owned one back in 1984 or so. Single pickup model. As I recall, it was very light with a thin neck -- Similar to a Hofner.
    Fret work was very good with thin, almost mandolin frets.

Unfortunately, I purchased mine with a shot pickup and installed a Gibson EB pickup instead of re-winding the original.
    So, I really cannot comment on amplified tone. But the bass resonated well acoustically. In fact, if it had been 100% original, I probably would still own it today.

Great score, especially for folks who have small hands or prefer short scale basses. Enjoy it!

18. rhp335

rhp335

Aug 3, 2006
    Kansas City
    I've been studying the history of the Acoustic BW and it's bass companion since I aquired mine in the early 70's. I've used the site you linked, and it has lots of good information. But from what I've been able to find out, the BW basses along with fretless basses with the Hohner name on them were actually made by Paul Barth's company Bartell.

My Hohner below has the exact same red back pad and most the same hardware. The BW's had fancier binding, solid tops and were single pick-up, with the cool little fretless section at the bottom of the fretboard.

I happened to correspond with a guy who worked in the southern CA guitar industry in those days and he confirmed that Bartell built these, and when Acoustic quit issuing them Barth took the design, pretty much intact, to Hohner. The Hohners have paper tags inside the f-holes saying Manufactured by Bartel. There's no record of Mosely having any hand in the basses. Not to be disappointed, Paul Barth was a legendary figure in the SoCal guitar industry, he worked for Rickenbacker and Fender and made several contributions as well as building his own line of guitars and basses for a few years.

They are cool basses and LOVE flats, the pups are a little underpowered by todays standards, but the feel and tone are unique.

1528502206_fed373d184_o.

Here's my Acoustic Black Widow guitar, it's the Japanese specs, but have seen and played a Mosely version.

1527633577_7fb3192194_o.

19. jakeox

jakeox

Feb 15, 2007
    Chicago
    That Black Widow is cool -- I especially like the "extra" fretboard where there are no frets. That might be a cool little feature to play around with.

The Ventures bass will get here tomorrow. I'll post a little review after I spend some quality time with it. I am looking forward to checking it out.

20. I love threads like this, as they bring out all the old guys (like me). I had a Univox knock-off of teh Mosrite that I liked, and see that eastwood has a knock-off of the knock-off Univox. How cool is that? BTW: "Ventures Live in Japan '65" rules; I will burn a copy for anyone who would really appreciate it.