Mosrite violin bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TRichardsbass, Apr 30, 2012.

1. TRichardsbass

TRichardsbass Inactive Commercial User

Jun 3, 2009
    Between Muscle Shoals and Nashville
    Bassgearu, Music Industry Consulting and Sales. Tech 21, NBE Corp, Sonosphere.
  2. peterkidd

peterkidd

Oct 20, 2008
    Shirley, MA
    I'm no expert, but had quite a few Mosrites back in the day (hey, good enough for Lee Dorman...).

Never saw one like that, but it's exactly how I'd imagine one would look.

First though someone converted a no-name, but that headstock would be pretty hard to replicate.

Live and learn.

3. Never saw one before and never read or heard about one either. Mosrite is and has been heavily copied in Japan so it's entirely possible that it isn't an actual US Mosrite.

4. TRichardsbass

TRichardsbass Inactive Commercial User

Jun 3, 2009
    Between Muscle Shoals and Nashville
    Bassgearu, Music Industry Consulting and Sales. Tech 21, NBE Corp, Sonosphere.
    I'm thinking half copy. The neck is missing a serial number, but the tuners and knobs look real. So someone grafted the neck onto a body. Either way, I'm not bidding.

5. peterkidd

peterkidd

Oct 20, 2008
    Shirley, MA
    Good point on the grafting possibility.

A close up of the neck joint woulda been nice.

Though even if it turns out there was an Ideal hiding under all the Mosrite, whoever bought it could probably make most of it back through the duckfoot (what we used to call 'em before we figured out they were 'M's..) tuners and pickups and knobs and saddle and such.

6. That's a very interesting bass. I have never heard of a Mosrite violin bass. Since I've been on the Mosrite forum I've seen so many one-off instruments that it's possible that Semie might have built anything.

The neck looks correct and the fit to the body is so close that it's hard to believe it was a random graft-on. The color of the binding on the neck and body looks the same. The hardware looks like it's all Mosrite and there are marks around the bridge that look like it had the Mosrite bridge cover at some point.

It sold for less than $900 so I think someone got themselves a really unique bass.

Rick B.

7. 5001

May 19, 2008
    Germany
    I also tend to the assumption that it is the work of a talented hobby luthier. Maybe the fact, that Bob Bogle from the Ventures played in the 1971/72 years a Hofner violin bass and the fact that the Ventures were well known as Mosrite endorsers until '69 gave birth to that strange thing.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021