Most accomplished person (or group) in the music biz?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jrthebassguy, Aug 11, 2001.

1. Well I guess this is sort of a poll, but there are way too many people to list, so i prefer not to put a poll here. But like the title says, who do you think has deemed themselves worthy of being considered very well accomplished? Notice i said "most accomplished", not "most succesful

My vote goes to Brett Guerwitz, not only for his work with Bad Religion, but for turning Epitaph into one of the biggest labels around, when starting out just with BR.

DDEVIL Guest

Aug 7, 2001
    Trent Reznor
    Fred Durst ~shudders~
    All the guys in Korn

There's lots more those are the ones that come to mind...
  3. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    Matt Bellamy (Muse), he is a great guitarist, singer, songwriter and pianist.
  4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Marcus Miller.

Great bass player, and in many styles. Jazz, bebop, hip hop, funk, pop and more.

Plus a great composer, leader and ensemble player.

Also has a great career going as a producer and scoring films.

I believe that he is close to the same level as Mingus and Jaco as far as being accomplished on his instrument and being a great leader as well.
  5. oddentity

oddentity Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    I'd say Peter Gabriel.

In addition to being an incredible songwriter and performer, he has a knack for bringing together top-notch musicians of disparate styles to form a cohesive band. He's started a successful label, Real World, devoted to developing international artists; he opened the incredibly high-tech Real World Studios; his WOMAD (World of Music, Arts and Dance) festivals are held all over the world; he has scored movies, TV shows, and theatrical productions; and he works with international charities such as Amnesty International...
  6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I'd rate Moby way up there. I don't know what the guy can't do - play bass, guitar, keyboards, write, engineer, produce, sing, cook French, engine tune-ups........ And he's tuned into fresh sounds.

George Martin, "the Fifth Beatle", is another. He played on some Beatles stuff and just has an uncanny talent for arrangements, engineering, producing, and hearing things others don't.
  7. Paul McCartney
    John Paul Jones
    Henry Rollins
    Steve Albini
  8. For the record, Epitaph kinda bugs me, they arent a underground label anymore, and theyre selling out bands. Look at Rancid, they are way too mainstream for their own good.

My vote goes to John Paul Jones, he plays bass, organ, arranges, produces, and countless other things, and is still working in the business. It hurts to think how much better Zeppelin had been in JPJ had produced the albums instead of Page.
  9. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I'm with you, Jeff. Marcus is the man.
  10. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I have to go with Daryl Jones.
    That guy played with the king of Jazz, Miles Davis
    The king of pop, Sting
    The queen of dance, Madonna
    The kings of rock, rolling stones.

I would love to play with only one of those...
  11. BigJH

Jan 20, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I would have to say Prince. (I'll wait for the snickering to die down......finished good!) He can play almost any instrument. His music is unbelievably written, composed, and choregraphed. He can do it all for a midget.
  12. ARA punk

ARA punk

Jul 11, 2001
    USA, Shelby, NC
    i would have to say the guys from rancid or the guys from Nofx. They have been in the business for a long time and have been doing what they set out to do. Make music. Tallguy, i dissagree with you saying rancid sold out. becoming mainstream (which rancid isnt) does not make you a sell out band. Changing your style to make yourself become main stream is selling out. Rancid has been the same since the begining, good, sweet, punk.
  13. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    If we're talking about instrumental versatility and songwriting skills, Prince, Lenny Kravitz and Marcus Miller are somewhere at the top. Honorable mention to Sheryl Crow, Sting and Sean Lennon.