1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Most aggressive overdrive

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Ronald Poe, Aug 26, 2018.

1. Ronald Poe

Ronald Poe

Jan 22, 2015
    I was looking at the aggressive pedal thread and was thinking "What's the most aggressive overdrive pedal out there?" I was testing out my CoolCat Drive and Berhringer BDI21 on my bass. It produced a super aggressive sounding tone (way more aggressive than when I pair the BDI21 and a Proco Rat together and much less thin sounding) even when the BDI21's drive was a little over half way. The pair sounds pretty sweet but would probably only be usable in Extreme Metal settings like Grindcore, Thrash Metal (Slayer style), Black Metal, ect. The CoolCat itself is very bright and aggressive on guitar but even meaner on bass.

I'm wondering if there are any overdrive pedals that are even more aggressive on bass (price and slight low cut doesn't matter)? I'm not talking about fuzz or distortion pedals. What do you guys think?

2. imo the Proco Rat with BDDI sounds tame compared to the Alpha-Omega. Or even many other pedals.

Nephilymbass and hintz like this.
  3. Ronald Poe

Ronald Poe

Jan 22, 2015
    Alpha Omega is a distortion pedal, I'm talking about overdrives (particularly the CoolCat Drive). Could you list a overdrive pedal more aggressive than the CoolCat Drive.

4. If you want a more aggressive tone than your overdrive pedals give you, don't rule out distortion. Let your ears guide you, rather than the wording on the pedal.

5. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Pittsburgh PA!
    Absolutely - I realize some may be tempted to offer technical definitions, yet what is distortion sonically other than extremely aggressive overdrive?

Fuzzbass and Kink Rimson like this.
  6. smallsound/bigsound Mini or the F*ck Overdrive can get pretty gnarly for an OD.

freedomryder likes this.
  7. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Ellicott City, MD
    Endorsing: Spector Bass Guitars
    Behringer GDI21 on bass is gnarly. Love it!

8. Ronald Poe

Ronald Poe

Jan 22, 2015
    I like my current overdrive but I was curious what's out there. I love the BDI21 but it seems to respond better with overdrive pedals than distortion pedals (though I haven't tested my bass big muff with it yet).

9. TodaysTomSawyer

TodaysTomSawyer Supporting Member

May 2, 2017
    Northern Oklahoma
    Damnation Audio MBD-1 is no slouch and one of my favorites. It responds great to different basses too. No slight low cut at all. Adjusting the Gain internal trim pot also comes in handy :thumbsup:. Another option, setting the Dunwich Volt Thrower on Schottky diode or no clipping diode with gain around 2 or 3:00 achieves one the best overdrives I've used. Dunwich ODB is worth a look as well

Maxfenderbass, Fuzzbass and cataract like this.
  10. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    Reiner’s Gasoline OD can be dialed into very aggressive tones

Fuzzbass and jazznrick like this.
  11. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

Aguilar's Tone Hammer has enough gain for seriously aggressive overdrive:

ToneHammer-large.jpg

12. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    The most aggressive overdrive pedals I've heard that are affordable would be a joyo orange juice(orange amp emulator) and the joyo golden face(marshall amp emulator). considering that they're amp simulation pedals, they can be used as killer overdrive pedals.

Orange juice at 1:08 and golden face at 1:23

13. Karlson541

Karlson541 Inactive

Jun 9, 2018
    Normally I would say you would have to go into distortion territory before you can describe of a dirt pedal's the tone as outright aggressive.

Also depend on how exactly you define aggressive, and not least with what equipment you use the pedal with and how you use it.

I'd deem your question impossible to answer.

Conkal and Fuzzbass like this.
  14. vivaknoxvegas

vivaknoxvegas El Duderino Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    Dunwich ODB can get pretty aggressive.

Fuzzbass likes this.
  15. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Commercial User

Aug 14, 2018
    East Tennessee
    I was endorsed by Gallien Krueger and ESP in 2002 but am no longer on either company’s roster.
    Has anybody ever tried a Tube Screamer? I know they were the be all/end all for guitar, and I even used one in the studio for vocals back in the day, but I’ve never heard a bass piped through one.

16. Snowglo

Snowglo Pro Aris et Focis Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2013
    Orygun
    U.S. Military endorsement since 1984
    Tech 21 XXL for bass. Crazy extreme distortion IMHO.

17. Beheroth

Beheroth

Aug 26, 2016
    a stock tube screamer has an hpf @~700, so it's gonna need a quick mod otherwise for a lot of people it's "hurrdurr tube screamer sucks on bass, it kills all the low end", or use a loop/blend mind of meme (like a boss LS2) to bring back the lows.
    IMO, it's better in a loop cause you keep the tight character of the TS, instead of modding it for more lows and making it flabby

18. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    Blueberry Bass OD is pretty agresssive.

19. The most aggressive overdrive I have ever played through is the Fuzzrocious Broke Dick Peanut Gallery with the Clean Gain Mod (BDPD V2) it has two stages of overdriven gain stages for saturation with a useful tone stack and a clean stage at the end for make up or boost. Plus it responds well stacked with other dirt pedals in very dynamic ways, that is why is sits last in my signal chain in the garden of dirt.

20. BurtMacklinFBI

BurtMacklinFBI Degen from Up-Country

Apr 3, 2018
    I've heard them used and liked them other than the loss of lows. Maybe look into a JHS Moonshine, it's a Tube Screamer clone with better low end and a clean blend. I just got one and couldn't be happier.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 11, 2021