1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Most aggressive Pre and pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by willsellout, Aug 17, 2007.

1. willsellout

willsellout Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Sweetwater Sales Engineer
    Hi, I did a search but didn't find what I was looking for.
    Here's the deal, I'm looking at getting an older Ibanez prestige series 3005 or 5005 or 1005 etc. and completely swapping out the electronics for some high quality electronics. I feel the Ibanez is an excellent platform with which to upgrade and it's exactly what I'm looking for but the tone is lacking for me. I really want an ability to get aggressive, similar to a Warwick FNA jazzman or maybe some other Warwicks. I don't have experience with much other than Bartolini but didn't want to jump to a decision without asking.

Any help would be appreciated!

Dan

2. KeithPas

KeithPas Supporting Member

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    I have gotten aggresive tone from EMG's, Basslines and Status pickups and preamps. What players tone do you like and are you thinking of a certain player with respect to tone? If so, find out what they are using.

3. elpelotero

elpelotero

Jun 16, 2006
    seymour duncan basslines really bring out the best growl in warwicks. those may be your ticket.

4. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    My vote goes for the Duncan Basslines as well. EMG's are pretty nasty sounding (in a good way) but I've always been partial to the Duncans.

5. IanAllison

IanAllison Supporting Member

May 27, 2006
    Minneapolis
  6. giglawyer

giglawyer Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Dan:

I think one man's "aggressive" is another man's "fat," or "farty," etc. Can you give some examples of someone who you think has "aggressive tone."

Marco Colti Zaleati from Lacuna Coil plays a 3005 with EMG-40P5 pickups (or so says Wikipedia). I would call his tone aggressive. But maybe you think he plays likes a sissy-mary. I also don't know if the pickups are stock, or what preamp he uses.

Before you go tearing all the guts out, you may want to A/B some good preamps if you can to see if you can get the tone you want with the stock pickups (unless they are just crappy to begin with.)

7. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    Bartolini

8. mattpnolan

mattpnolan Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    I find Barts to be more rounded and not what I would term aggressive, but maybe I haven't tried the "right" ones...Anyway, my Duncan Basslines are pretty aggressive.

9. malicous

malicous

Apr 25, 2006
    Los Angeles
    +1
    I would go with Duncan ASB2-5 pickups and the Duncan preamp.

10. OrionManMatt

OrionManMatt

Feb 17, 2004
    Houston
    Agreed. I think that this was a typical finding in the Dr. Dimento pickup experiments with regards to the Bartolini pickups having a somewhat "subdued" high-end.

I have been really impressed with the Basslines products as well. Of course, I have only heard the humbuckers. YMMV.

11. giglawyer

giglawyer Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    FWIW, the Rio Grande Muy Grande pickups are supposed to be really "hot", (again, YMMV with that term), and they come in Jazz and humbucker styles.

12. jady

jady

Jul 21, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    The Basslines MM pup with the 3band pre in my Bee is the most aggressive sounding pup/pre combo I have ever heard. I can't mellow it out.

13. willsellout

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    As far as aggressive, I'm pretty much thinking the Warwick midrange. I guess some examples might be Ryan Martini from Mudvayne or the old Chevelle bassist..he had a pretty throaty tone. I know he played an SR and Ryan plays Warwicks but they both have a really nice growl to them.

Dan

14. What you really need is a Warwick bass. Just changing your pickups isn't going to make your bass sound like a Warwick.
    My suggestion to help you get closer to what you want would be an Aguilar pre with EMG pickups. This setup gives you an amazing array of tone options. Very versatile. Can be quite aggressive if desired. Years ago Warwicks even came stock with EMG's. I've also heard people say that Basslines aren't horribly different in tone from MEC's on Warwicks. You might try that route. Stay away from MEC pre's though. The general consensus is that they're not that great.

15. willsellout

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I would love to own a Warwick, a FNA Jazzman or Thumb specifically but I have shoulder problems which makes playing them difficult unfortunately. Hence my search for a similar tone but in a bass that is more comfortable for me to play.

16. OrionManMatt

OrionManMatt

Feb 17, 2004
    Houston
    Maybe try an ash/maple combo bass with a humbucker. There are certainly ones out there that aren't too heavy, but I think that's a great combination for the "growly" presence that you're looking for.

Have you considered G&L at all? They make some basses that are, in my opinion, pretty ballsy.

17. the_fooj

the_fooj

Feb 15, 2007
    Chevy Chase, MD
    Well Musicman pickups are pretty aggressive, so I'd give the Duncan MM style ones a try. Also definetely check out the G&L L2000. Those can be pretty damn agressive too.

18. willsellout

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I've owned both the L2K and the L2500 and loved them both but found the L2500 to be lacking a bit in the B string and it was noisy as all hell. After taking a look in the electronics cavity I understood why; looked like a tornado hit it:D. Super comfortable bass to play though.
    The sound in general though was a good reference for what I'm looking for. As far as the Warwick thing, it wasn't the weight that bothered my shoulders it was the long reach on the thumb and the weird angle on the FNA that got to me. Although I would love to spend some time with a Streamer to see if that would work. But seeming as it's modeled after the Spector I might still have problems with it. I love the Spector but the reach on the 35" scale was a bit too much and although the Streamer is 34" scale it is still a concern for me.

I seems that the Basslines or EMG's and Aguilar are where I need to be looking.
    Dan

19. Off the top of my head, Nordstrand Big Singles, MFDs (The ones used in G&Ls) Rio Grande, yea, I heard Duncans can make Warwicks roar. EMGs too though those don't work on all basses :p

20. willsellout

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Definitely curious about the Nordies...

Dan