Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Most Bang For Buck With 1st Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mrbill180, Jan 12, 2002.

1. mrbill180

mrbill180

Dec 28, 2001
    USA
    I'm finally ready to purchase my first amp. I don't want to just "settle" for any practice amp though. I've read too many posts from people who say how they wish they had spend more $$ for a better quality amp.

So my questions:

1) Is there anything out there for under $200 you recommend that I'll still be happy with, say two years from now (I don't want to feel like my amp is holding me back).

2) What amps do you recommend (please include model and approx. price if you can)?

Thanks so much!

PS: I have no plans to turn pro or anything, so I don't need anyting outrageous, but I also don't want to get stuck with something limiting either.

PS #2: A shop here in my town is selling a Peavey Microbass for around $160. Is that good? (lol...help!)

2. Touchdownboy

Touchdownboy

Dec 29, 2001
    Australia
    Ok, the Peavey Microbass is a good little practice amp. Notice I said practice amp, because that's what it is. Its only 20 watts, which wont exactly shake the room, but it is a nice amp to have in your room and practice with and its very solidly built. Basically its a very basic, reliable practice amp.
    If the Peavey Microbass is $160 then I doubt you'll be able to find anything over 100 watts (which is about the absolute minimum for a band situation) for under $200.
    Now, how do you think your amp will be holding you back? If it is because you think it wont have enough power then I wouldnt go for the Peavey, your best option would be a combo that has at least a 10 inch speaker, and over 50 watts. Also, if its tons of features you want, the peavey doesnt exactly deliver, as it is a beginner amp, with the beginner in mind.
    For some combo amp ideas, check out these brands:

Gallien Krueger - www.gallien.com
    Ampeg - www.ampeg.com
    SWR - www.swreng.com
    Carvin - (dont know the address)

However, alot of these more advanced combos will probably be around the $500+ mark.

3. cap

cap

Aug 8, 2001
    Hickam Hawaii
    For just about 100 dollars *dont pay anymore than that* you can get an Ibanez BZ-10. 10 watt amp...enough so that you can be heard when just sitting on your bed practicing...but it cant hold anything to a guitar amp of the same watts....and dont even think about drums so its not for use in band....strictly practice

hope this helps...

Cap

4. I'd suggest you buy your amp from eBay. You will get more amp for your dollar, plus you can resell it later if/when you decide to move up. Rule of thumb on eBay: never pay more than 66% of new-discount price. I've tracked a lot of sales on eBay that interest me, and this is a good rule of thumb.

For example, a Peavey Minx 110 is my recommendation for an inexpensive amp that you won't outgrow too soon. The eBay Median price is $100, and the Average is $104 for the 12 transactions I cataloged. The Fender Bassman 25 averages $175 on eBay. This is right at 66% of new-discount price.

The Minx is a whole lot more amp than the Peavey Microbass. The newest models even have an extension speaker jack so you can drive another cabinet. I bought mine as a practice/living room amp so I didn't have to hire roadies to move my regular amp for living room jams. :D My Minx holds up well even with my 5-string. It only reproduces the Low B 2nd and 3rd harmonics, but that is fine for a practice amp.

5. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I'm using the Peavey Minx 110 when my band rehearses. It belongs to my drummer's son. It's not bad for a practice amp, and you can actually play with a band in a small room if you don't try to get too loud. The projection of the amp is VERY short range.
    If you were able to scrape up a little more cash, look into Crate amps. I'm using the BX-100 as a gigging amp for small clubs. It cost me $325 new, with a warranty.
    And, if you're willing to do the legwork, an old Vox Essex (55 watts and 2x12) can be found for about $200.

6. Have patience and keep your eyes open for the deal. I got a Tube Works RT-3175 for about $200. It's a 160 watt combo with a 15" driver. The local owner/operator music store's Bass instructor just wanted to sell it. It had never left his studio, so it was in perfect condition. It's small but HEAVY. Hang tough, your amps out there just waiting for you.

Another thought for now is a headphone practice amp. You can pick them up for about $50 during the next "World class guitar-o-rama once in a life time prices too low to advertise get them before all the hampsters in the world revolt super sale" at your local Guitar Center.

I can practice through mine at any time of the night and not disturb my family. It also has an auxillary input so that I can play with the radio or cd player.

7. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    You should be able to find a used Peavey TNT for less than $200.Ive got a TNT100,paid $125 for it.Works ok for rehearsal,and I used it on stage a few times and it was ok.Not the best amp Ive used,but decent for the price.