1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Most bang for my buck, ~$550 range, like an Ampeg ba-115 without the hiss

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by vectormane, Apr 3, 2003.

1. vectormane

vectormane

Jul 10, 2000
    My brother just bought a bass two weeks ago (I've been playing for 3 years) and he happens to have money to burn. So basically, I'm getting a free amp out of him.

He bought an ampeg ba-115 combo. (100 watts, 15" + tweeter). I like it a lot except for the loud hiss from the tweeter (eq does not help it).So we're gonna take it back and exchange it for something else. I recently came upon a small some of cash, so we can go about $100 higher than what the Ampeg cost ($450)

I need something that will eventually be able to handle small gigs. I play all styles-- latin, jazz, rock n' roll, metal. Every once in awhile i might tune to CGCF, but mostly i stay in standard. My bass is a 4-string Squier P (go ahead, laugh now), his is a 4-string MIM Fender Jazz (unfortunately, he's a lefty, so I can't steal it). The only feature that I really require is a compressor or some good EQ presets.

What's my best bet around $550, new?

2. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    Fender Bassman 100.

3. bentem

bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    ill second the bassman 100:D

4. vectormane

vectormane

Jul 10, 2000
    Immediately after i posted this, i read the "newcomers - please read" article. Jesus I'm a dumbass. Thanks for the reccomendations anyways!

5. Dude, all you have to do is disconnect the tweater and don't tell Ampeg!!!:D