Most bang for my buck, ~$550 range, like an Ampeg ba-115 without the hiss

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by vectormane, Apr 3, 2003.

1. vectormane

Jul 10, 2000
    My brother just bought a bass two weeks ago (I've been playing for 3 years) and he happens to have money to burn. So basically, I'm getting a free amp out of him.

He bought an ampeg ba-115 combo. (100 watts, 15" + tweeter). I like it a lot except for the loud hiss from the tweeter (eq does not help it).So we're gonna take it back and exchange it for something else. I recently came upon a small some of cash, so we can go about $100 higher than what the Ampeg cost ($450)

I need something that will eventually be able to handle small gigs. I play all styles-- latin, jazz, rock n' roll, metal. Every once in awhile i might tune to CGCF, but mostly i stay in standard. My bass is a 4-string Squier P (go ahead, laugh now), his is a 4-string MIM Fender Jazz (unfortunately, he's a lefty, so I can't steal it). The only feature that I really require is a compressor or some good EQ presets.

What's my best bet around $550, new?
  2. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Fender Bassman 100.
  3. bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    ill second the bassman 100:D
  4. vectormane

Jul 10, 2000
    Immediately after i posted this, i read the "newcomers - please read" article. Jesus I'm a dumbass. Thanks for the reccomendations anyways!
  5. Dude, all you have to do is disconnect the tweater and don't tell Ampeg!!!:D