Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Most bang for my buck on replacement neck

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by silky smoove, Sep 21, 2004.

1. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I'm very interested in putting a graphite/carbon fiber neck on the project bass I'll be building next year. Which company delivers the most bang for the buck so to speak? The only three I'm aware of are Moses, Status and Modulus. I'm leaning towards Modulus because I've played a Modulus VJ4 and loved the feel, but I don't want to rule out the others. How would you weight each one in terms of:

Playability/Feel
    Tone alteration (i.e. makes it cold, makes it bright, etc.)
    Durability (both in construciton and against weather etc.)
    Aesthetics (i.e. looks)

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

2. Charred

Charred

Sep 18, 2004
    lancaster, pa.
    I too am interested in getting a graphite necked (P-Bass in my case).
    I have looked at the offerings you mention and I am leaning toward a Status neck mostly on the ground of pure aesthetics. Check thier website for a close-up of the back of one of thier necks. That carbon ribbon 'weave' is just blowing me away. I understand the advantages that graphite offers , stability of intonation and added harmonic range, playabilty etc. As the price range of the 3 competitors is about the same, I think I will go with the Status.
    I think I will build a custom "Super P" from a Status neck, a Warmoth prefinished body, and EMG active eletronics. I'll go the route of letting my local tech assemble it all for me. I haven't the ba**s, errr... courage to attempt it myself.The neck is too precious to risk.
    I believe at last check a neck shipped to US was around 430.00 US INCLUDING shipping/ insurance. Those Status basses are just incredible to look upon, I keep going back to the website for a peek :eek:
    Good luck in your search. Keep me informed here

Rich

3. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    I think you're going to find it difficult to find someone that has experience with all these replacement necks, as replacement necks and can give you detailed info like you're asking. I'm sure there are going to be individuals who know specific ones, eg Moses, but may never have even tried the others.

If you haven't already, search the forums here, read everything you can, and take your best guess at what will be best.

I like my Statuses, and as Charred said, the weave is pretty good looking, but the 'random' pattern in a Modulus I saw was great also.

Owning Statuses and seeing how well they're made, how reliable they are, how good they feel and sound (to me) and Rob's excellent service, it'd be my recommendation.

Good luck. Be interested to know what you decide. I really doubt you'll go wrong with any of them.

4. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Thanks for the help everybody. This is a tough one to decide on. I talked with the guys at Bass Northwest in Seattle and they told me that they whole heartedly think Modulus would be the best option, but after some further research I found that Modulus is the only brand they sell, so I find it hard to take them too seriously and un-biased. Oh well, more research awaits me. Thanks again everybody!

5. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    what did you end up with and how did it work out?

im thinking of doing a project bass with a graphite neck....

6. NoNoise

NoNoise Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    I've been doing some searches to find old posts talking about the Moses graphite necks, but I haven't really found any that talk about the sound. Can anyone describe any sound diffs that come from Moses graphite necks? I'm looking for an extremely round and warm sound like Pedulla basses. Thanks.

7. bigcatJC

bigcatJC

Jul 9, 2004
    I have long term experience with Moses necks only - but I wholeheartedly recommend them. 9 or 10 years ago I replaced the neck on my Fender Japanese made Jazz bass and have never been sorry. The tone, compared to the neck it replaced, is both brighter and deeper. The improvement was so obvious, even the singer in the band I was in (waaaaay back then) noticed! The best way I can describe the sound is wood plus. You'll often hear that Moses manufactures their necks to sound more "woody", and that could be a fair statement, depending on how you think wood is supposed to sound :) . (A Gibson EB-0 and a top of the line MTD are both made from wood, but I doubt many people think they sound the same!) At any rate, I've never had anyone tell me I have a "cold" tone like some use to describe graphite. Sustain is also enhanced, if this is a concern to you.

All that being said, tone is a subjective thing. You may not like the sound I like, or in this case, love. There are certain sounds graphite cannot make exactly as well as wood. No matter how much treble I roll off, there is still a certain "clanking" high end. In other words, don't expect a graphite-necked bass with roundwounds and active electronics to sound like an old P-bass with flats. It ain't happening. However, if you're like me and your main struggle is fitting in the mix with a distorted guitar and drums, you might like the tone you get from Moses. Heck, I have a hard time burying this bass in the mix!

As for the other brands, I played a Status Series 1 many years ago, and compared my Frankensteined Moses/Fender to a Modulus Jazz a couple of years ago. All graphite is made differently, and in the end what anybody likes is just personal preference. The Status seemed to lack a certain something I like in the low end, both unplugged and amplified - not a bad sound at all, just not my dream tone. The Modulus lacked a little something in the highs compared to mine, played head to head. Once again, there's no accounting for taste.

I'll always recommend Moses necks when asked, but I'll never say Status or Modulus make bad products. You have to decide which one sounds the way you want to sound. Unfortunately, you almost have to try the neck on your bass to make a decision! I say try Moses and see if that makes you happy. Hope this helps.

8. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    I have a Moses/Warmoth Deluxe 5 that I "assembled". I put it together with one sort of thing in mind and it delivers.
    My Moses neck sounds more musical and natural than I expected. The advice I would give to one planning a build with one is as follows:
    Remember you will have a bass with increased attack and faster tone generating ability. The wood and electronics you choose can be augmented by the SUPER DEEP and ULTRA BRIGHT capabilities if the neck.
    If you are ordering something that is not off the rack it can take longer than you may be quoted(this is just my experience, haven't heard it anywere else).
    The fretwork on my neck was flawless, it was bolt-on and GO!!
    The neck has proven to be very durable!!
    TAKE CAUTION DURING THE MOUNTING PROCESS. This requires drilling into the neck, BE CAREFULL!!!

9. NoNoise

NoNoise Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    Thanks for the help guys. I definitely am worried about taking on my first build, but I'm not totally sure I want to pay someone else a lot to do it either. So, I'll just be hitting up TBers for help every so often. As far as the time thing goes, I'm not in a real hurry at all. In fact, it may be a while before I can even start it. We'll see!

10. Johnny Fila

Johnny Fila Formerly "The Crusader"

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    I built a similar P/J bass:
    Moses neck
    Black Gloss P body (alder)
    EMG active pups
    Aguilar OBP1 pre-amp
    BadAssII Bridge
    The bass ROCKS like you wouldn't believe. It's super bright but has this incredible thump to it and the harmonics pop right out. Very easy to play with that J neck from Moses.
    I'll attach a pic.