most bang for the buck,preamp vs comp vs ?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jamesonellis, Dec 17, 2004.

1. jamesonellis

Nov 12, 2004
    i'm looking to maximally enhance my sound for the least $(aren't we all),and i'm thinking rather than big new amp great new bass,i'll get a preamp(aguilar) or comp.i have a '82 ibanez humbucking roadstar 2 and a tko tone thru that setup isn't as bad as u might think.which of the above effects would you recommend fist, or is there something else,im not looking for much distortion,just an incisive ballsy tone.
  2. jim primate

jim primate bass guitarist.

sansamp bassdriver direct inject box. it'll give you some tonal options. it's a tube amp emulator, so it'll fatten things up as well as offer tube(y) overdrive.
  3. jamesonellis

Nov 12, 2004
    the sansamp has a great rep,but i'm thinking part of what i want to do is clean up the sound,ie reign in the levels warm things up.i have heard the sansmp is better for tubish tone but not as good for pure tone as the aguilar.
  4. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    My vote is for the Aguilar pre-amp. By the way, is that on-board or out-board unit? Overall, the Aguilar pre should give a more tonal possibilities. Modern deep, clear, aggressive, etc. type of sound. I would also highly recommend a good clean boost pedal - nothing better for getting just "more" of a great sounding clean tone. Plus, it will fatten up the tone even more - you'd be surprised at how much a good, simple, high-quality clean boost pedal will do for your sound, providing the starting sound is one your happy with. Suggestions there would be looking into Carl Martin pedals or Pro Tone Pedals, etc.
  5. jamesonellis

Nov 12, 2004
    i'm thinking of getting the outboard aguilar,doesn't that act as a boost?
  6. jamesonellis

Nov 12, 2004
    bass compactor sounds like it fits the bill,thanks a lot.
  7. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

I actually have a barely used Bass Compactor which I am not using.....yes, they are pretty cool, and work wonders as an acive boost.
    ...if you are interested drop me a PM here.