most CLEAR tone

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by emielow, Jan 27, 2006.

1. emielow

Jan 18, 2004
    what bass / pickups does have the most clear, bright (piano-like) tone?

and what can you do to make your bass sound more clear? (except putting new strings on it:))
  2. A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    My Status S2000 with SS strings.
  3. Christian Waiau

Christian Waiau Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2005
    las vegas/maui, nevada/hawaii
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, Aguilar, Darkglass
    my modulus flea with lane poor MM and bart pre sounded very clear... too clear for my taste.. i changed the bart to a aguilar obp3.
  4. psi

Mar 11, 2005
    New Jersey
    Graphite necks generally produce the "clear" piano-like tone you speak of. So.. Modulus, Status, Steinberger, Zon, etc
  5. Christian Waiau

Christian Waiau Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2005
    las vegas/maui, nevada/hawaii
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, Aguilar, Darkglass
    i was just gonna add that after i posted.. :spit:
  6. emielow

Jan 18, 2004
    are moses graphite necks a good option? or are they not very good quality?
  7. A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Go with one from Status Graphite in the UK. Excellent!
  8. Jmann

Apr 29, 2003
    Lexington, Ky
    My Q6 (w/barts) is very piano like at the bridge... so is my 535
  9. To my ears , maple boards make a difference. BTW, coated DR's make the notes less defined to my ear. Harder to tune by ear even. Anyone else experience that? These are the black DR's on a Lakland 55-01, which is usually really brite, well articulated, but not with these strings. Just wonder if its me, or the strings.
  10. Phalanx

Apr 4, 2005
    Oteil Burbridge on his Modulus gives an incredibly clean tone, quite liked it actually
  11. allow me to point you to a Dingwall Bass.
    The novax fanned fretboard combined w/ a 37" B strng makes for the most articulate clear tone you've ever heard.
  12. I would say a Modulus Flea. They sound incredibly clear. As for the pickup on the Flea, either the Basslines or the Lane Poor will do. They sound virtually identical; my Flea originally came with the Basslines then I got a Lane Poor. You'd be hard pressed to tell the difference. Anyways, I can't imagine anything better than a Modulus bass for a clear (piano like) tone.
  13. Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    anything Graphite or made by Greg Curbow will be the clearest. And to answer your question moses makes good necks for the price.
  14. Are any of the graphite necks made to be adjustable?
  15. Well, I know Modulus has relief adjustment. It makes very subtle changes, but it is noticiable.
  16. The clearest tone I've ever heard from a bass came from the bridge pickup of an Ovation Magnum I owned in the late 70s.

Very clear and very piano-like. It was amazing.

It also had a huge humbucker right at the end of the neck which wasn't muddy, and when combined with the bridge pup, it was tone heaven.

I never should have sold that bass. :bawl:

17. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

Then the Dingwall pickups are great too...full range and expressive and open sounding but without any noise.
  18. EMG pickups sound pretty clear to me.
  19. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    For the ultimate in clarity, I always think of MTD's and Skjold's. Interestingly, Michael gets his clarity using Bartolini pickups and preamps, but having heard Barts and EMG's in Pete Skjold's basses, his proprietary pickups and preamp (built to Pete's specs by John East) are heads and shoulders more clear, piano-like, and tonally "open" (yet still full) than the Barts of EMG's.

20. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND