most comfortable 5 string neck...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sheepdog, Aug 13, 2005.

1. sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    thinking about a 5 string. I would play in 2nd position most of the time (E is on the B fret 5, A is on the E fret 5, etc....)

How comfortable are the medium gecko necks? Other suggestions for comfortable necks? My fingers aren't long enough to handle really wide necks
  2. never tried the gecko necks (ones from warmoth aye?)

never played anything more comfortable than my EDA, the neck is pencil thin :)
  3. EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    The Tobias ASYM neck has always been extremely comfortable no matter how many strings. This goes for Tobias' with it and MTDs both American (4/5/635s) and Korean models (Kingston/Heirs).

I played an MTD 635 that played like nothing I'd ever felt. Never was I able to handle 6 strings that easily.

Pedula also makes an extremely nice 5 neck.

4. artistanbul

artistanbul Nihavend Longa Vita Brevis

Apr 15, 2003
    @mohawk the btb and eda necks are sooo different. its interesting you keep them both.

Comfortable neck is personal taste. My personal taste is, almost flat/flat board, thin profile, middle/wide spacing.
    I like asymmetric necks as well (think tobias/mtd etc.) though I've never owned one.

here's nothing for you :)

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Sadowsky is by far my favorite 5 string neck.
  6. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    My favorites are the Bongo and F Bass's BN5. Quite a contrast in price range there, though.
  7. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    The Fender Roscoe Beck V had the best neck I've ever felt on a 5er. I would like to acquire one of those, someday.
  8. Demens

Apr 23, 2005
    Waco, Texas
    I'm just finishing up my Gecko5 (medium neck) I will give it a vigorous test and let you know what it feels like.

My personal favorite neck is the old wenge necks on the older Warwick Corvettes...
  9. sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    the Bongo was a very comfortable 5 string neck. Not sure what made it so comfortable. Width? Depth? Shape?
  10. For me, F Bass is the ticket, those necks are just thin as I like, fast and easy playable!
    Just what I was dreaming of....:)

11. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Out of my mind, back in 5 minutes! Supporting Member

For me it is my Ken Lawrence Brase 5, followed by my MTD 535. The Brase is thin and flattened on the back, the MTD is assymetrical. Both are great basses and I would recommend either.

Dan K.
  12. Lakland necks are super comfortable to me, but not as comfortable as my roscoe's 6 string neck. My lakland blows my old BTB out of the water in every aspect including comfort of the neck.
  13. My vote goes to Lakland as well. The most comfortable 5er I've tried yet. I have small hands and this bass feels great.

You know what they say about guys with small hands....

it's true

We buy small gloves. yuk yuk :rollno:
  14. yeah, i know, they are very different, i prefer the EDA's playability by a long shot, but the BTB seems to be able to give a dirtier grittier tone, which is what i need alot of the time

I want to try another pup in the eda, its quite possibly the passive soapbar that throws it off, or it could just be the low mass of the bass itself

Plus i got the BB dirt cheap :p
  15. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    My Ristola has the nicest I've found, but next to that I'd go with Tobias/MTD.
  16. The Warwick Thumb 5 bolt on has a nice slim neck. I know they have a wide neck version also, But the one I played was the non wide, And it felt really good. Ibanez SDGR basses probably have the smallest necks on 5 string. I think the SDGR 5 string basses have a 1.5" nut. Id only buy the SR 900 or better. Some people here own the SR505 and say its good.
  17. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    Carvin has a slim neck that IMHO is REALLY comfortable. Ken Smiths have incredible necks also. like butter greased with liquid jesus
  18. seaKamp

Jun 30, 2005
    I'll take my Modulus Q5 over just about anything. I <3 Mod necks, one of the main reasons I have this bass. Butter!!! :bassist:
  19. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    The Lakland 5-string neck plays itself. Superb. The Sadowsky 5-24 is pretty much the same. The Roscoe Beck V neck is a hair wide for me, but still easy to play.